General discussion

Thanks, Mods..

Since you've decided to filter my legitimate ModAlerts instead of acting on them, I now get spammed not only by your auto-replies but by stuff like this:

****@hotmail.com
My name is ****** ,i saw your profile today
and became intrested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send an email to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom i am. (charitywilton86@hotmail.com) i believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.Miss Charity Remeber the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life.
Yours Love
Miss ******

And of course you have blocked my ability to Alert it.
So now I can be stalked both ON the forum and OFF of it. Good job!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Thanks, Mods..
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Thanks, Mods..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) the boy who cried wolf?
- Collapse -
You think so?

You think having someone dog your every step with nonsensical and derogatory posts is acceptable? And that turning a blind eye to it is just dandy?

Maybe you should be a Mod also.

- Collapse -
the one doing that most to me

...is you.

- Collapse -
Again, Ed.....

....I would never have known you had a "stalker" if you didn't go on and on and on about it, and I'm probably not alone. Your constant modalerts are the Cnet equivalent of that lady who called 911 because McDonald's got her order wrong.

How about just not reading those "nonsensical and derogatory posts" until the forum adds an Ignore User option (which I'd love to see)?

Problem solved.

- Collapse -
I don't think you were the only target of that spam

I got the same message, probably from the same user, who I believe has already been banned. That has to be a near record event - getting banned the same day the user registered.

IAC, it is possible that you cannot do a mod alert because the user has already been banned. Just a guess.

- Collapse -
Maybe, but...

Jonah has already said he's set up his account to ignore my alerts. And I get them for those that he's filtered.

- Collapse -
what is the basis

for the claim it's related to CNET?

- Collapse -
Message from a CNET member

Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:32 AM
"*****@yahoo.com" <*****@yahoo.com>
Add sender to Contacts
To:
*****@yahoo.com

*****@hotmail.com
My name is Charity Wilton ,i saw your profile today

- Collapse -
Got it. So, his complaint is...

...that Ed believes he can't complain or Alert about CNET email system being used to spam him other than thru the forum here because you personally have blocked him from your mailbox?

What if you get a spam from a CNET identity or profile which is registered but never posted in the forums? How would you alert on that one?

Might be something to suggest to Lee that any CNET initiated mail from a profile also have a link added for filing a complaint, maybe keep it separate from the Alert destination for posts in the forums.

- Collapse -
I think it has already been suggested.

In any event, as someone told me earlier today, it is possible to get to the profile even if the user has never made a post. The URL is http://www.cnet.com/profile/username/
Although the email PM message did not include a link to the user profile, it DID include the user name and I was able to construct the appropriate URL. The user's profile did include a mod alert button.

- Collapse -
Lee has a temporary fix till a better one can be programmed
- Collapse -
Same here...

charitywilton86@hotmail.com
and became intrested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send an email to my email address so i can give you my picture for you to know whom i am. (charitywilton86@hotmail.com) i believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.Miss Charity Remeber the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life.
Yours Love
Miss Charity

This person did not use the forum email function either, they emailed me directly. The mail claims to be from jenesgodwin@yahoo.com. To mail me directly without using the 'Email Member' function means somehow that accessed my email address. Is CNet no longer taking measures to honor it's own privacy policy? Let me make one thing perfectly clear, CNET DOES NOT have my permission to share my email address with anyone. Now what is CNet going to do to rectify this problem? Lee?

- Collapse -
That's interesting

I didn't do a precise comparison, but it appears to be exactly the same message I received via the CNET system. It even includes the same spelling/syntax problems:

"jenesgodwin@yahoo.com" <jenesgodwin@yahoo.com> [Chat now]
Add to Contacts
To: my email address

charitywilton86@hotmail.com
Yours Love
Miss Charity

--------------------------------------------------
Note: This e-mail was sent from your CNET profile, by member adosa.

- Collapse -
(NT) Robo spam
- Collapse -
Obviously.

The interesting thing is finding the exact same robospam sent to a large number of cnet members via cnet PM and at the same time finding an identical robospam sent to one cnet member via a non-cnet system.

- Collapse -
one cnet member via a non-cnet system.?

you lost me there Bill, who?

- Collapse -
C1ay said his did not come from PM system
- Collapse -
i think clay didn't include

Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:32 AM

in his post

- Collapse -
I included the whole mail as received....

and I looked through the header files to see if it originated from CNet and it didn't.

I realize that I will get junk from the email member function as long as I have it enabled for my profile but this email didn't include any notice that it was sent from that and the headers didn't either. It is possible that I have posted my email here in the forum before but it's odd this spammer would have come across it unless they went through my past posts.

- Collapse -
How very strange ...

That means somebody went to a lot of trouble to spam a bunch of us.
I don't know if there is any way to figure out who it was.

- Collapse -
Indeed...

That person targeted users of other sites as well, not just CNET, but the CNET PM system has CAPTCHA in place to prevent automated programs from spamming members. That means either they found a flaw or, more likely, actually took the time to send those out to dozens of members.

Persistent little spammers...
John

P.S. We know who it was, and she was banned shortly after I received my personal copy.

- Collapse -
CAPTCHA was busted by 2 russians a few weeks ago

they reaped in a few million! emails as they did it

- Collapse -
It's was victimized long before that...

I just don't see the incentive to develop a bot to parse out member usernames and then hack the CAPTCHA system in order to spam CNET members. The system doesn't suffer from the common implementation flaws (such as those plagued by replay attacks), so that leaves using character recognition software. Such is usually used for a financial windfall or bragging rights, but neither is that significant in this case. CNET isn't a household name like Google, Microsoft, or Yahoo, nor is the CAPTCHA used to protect a financial system like PayPal, Google Checkout, etc. It may be the case that someone put such software to work, but I think it's more likely someone did it manually, especially given the relatively low number of reported cases in the roughly two hours before the account was banned.

John

- Collapse -
Re: You Know Who She Is/Was

If this is a known person, can you comment on whether she has a history in this forum?

- Collapse -
She/they registered just to spam...

Registered a new account and was banned less than two hours later. She (they) won't mind, though; 'Charity Wilton' has been doing this to dozens, if not hundreds, of forums over the past couple months. Google finds 2,380 copies of that PM posted in forums and blogs alone; who knows how many PMs have been sent out.

John

- Collapse -
By the way ...

I don't know if you still use the same email address you gave me about 5 years ago. When I tried to find that address on cnet with Google I drew a blank. The only place it turned up was on a site that had something to do with continuing education in building design.

- Collapse -
Yes

I've had that same address for about 11-12 years now. I was a beta tester for it. I still have my bellsouth.net address as well. It's about 16-17 years old.

- Collapse -
but was the subject line in your email

message from a Cnet member?

if yes, then as EdH said "robospam"

- Collapse -
(NT) Just a simple Hi There
- Collapse -
This just in.

Yesterday I got a live.com message to me. Windows forwards messages to my phone with a recognizable header, so I delete them and check my mail at a public computer. (Saves minutes.) This one opened with salutation, so I deleted at that point, w/o reading. Probably the same one youse guys have been seeing.

Downside: Still no date for the prom. Happy

CNET Forums

Forum Info