PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Thanks For the Memory

by brakewell / August 9, 2008 10:35 PM PDT

Hi There Everybody.
I am thinking of putting in more memory into my system but I think I read somewhere that Windows XP will only recognize 2GB of memory, or was it that Windows XP would not benifit from more than 2GB of memory.

At the moment I have an Asus P5W64 WS Motherboard CPU 6600 Core two duo 2 x 1GB corsair xms 6400 memory and running XP Pro SP3.
I was thinking of either adding two more corsair's xms 6400 or taking them out and putting in 2 x 2GB Patriot 6400.

Would any of this be of benifit to my PC or not?? would this be a benifit if I had Vista installed??. What are your opinions on Patriot memory as I have not used this type of memory before.
May I thank you in advance for anyone answering this queery.
Kindest Regards Tony B.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Thanks For the Memory
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Thanks For the Memory
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More than two Gig. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 9, 2008 10:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks For the Memory

is a waste of money, really. Unless you're trying to decode the human genome AND count the stars in the galaxie, you'll never use it. It will not benefit the PC. You'll see no difference or improvement.

As far as brand, I only use Crucial.

But it's your money.

Collapse -
You want to add memory because ?? What are you using
by VAPCMD / August 10, 2008 1:47 AM PDT

the PC for ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thanks For the Memory
by brakewell / August 10, 2008 3:03 AM PDT

I am not saying I want to add more memory, what I am saying will it do any good adding more memory as I remember reading somewhere saying "you can't have to much memory"
I am not out to spend money if it is not going to be any advantage.
Kindest Regards Tony b.

Collapse -
depends on how you use your PC
by ramarc / August 10, 2008 3:37 AM PDT

if you play certain games like supreme commander (which can consume 1.5gb+ by itself) or edit raw photos or video, then adding a gig or two can be beneficial. if you plan on updgrading to vista, then it will definitely be beneficial. with 4gb installed, only 3.25gb or so will be useable.

when using 4 slots, you might need a voltage push to get stable operation (especially with low-latency ddr2-800). it's best to get memory that has identical timings to the existing ram. and patriot is a good brand.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!