The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Thank you Molly: Western Digital ...grow a pair.

by minimalist / December 12, 2007 7:44 AM PST

Thanks to Molly for saying what exactly what I felt when I heard of the new MyBook World edition external hard drive. How can you respect a company kept on such a tight leash by some paranoid legal department that it?s willing to cut its own products off at the knees?

WD?s groveling at the knees of the RIAA abd MPAA seems even more pathetic when you consider that there are already hundreds of ways to transfer or access files across the net. Apple integrates them right into the OS (.Mac?s iDisk and Back to My Mac). On the Windows side there are tons of file transfer services like Dropsend or remote access clients like PC Anywhere that easily let you do the same thing. Heck, even G-Mail could be used to share copyrighted files.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Thank you Molly: Western Digital ...grow a pair.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Thank you Molly: Western Digital ...grow a pair.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
right on, right on...
by shawnlin / December 12, 2007 8:36 AM PST

I had a smirk on my face and stomped my feet in agreement...

and...nice one Cathy (re: extra message at end of ep. 622)

Collapse -
oh man....
by ktreb / December 12, 2007 2:36 PM PST
In reply to: right on, right on...

It sounded angrier in my head.

Collapse -
yeah...your polite manner in your delivery...
by shawnlin / December 12, 2007 9:14 PM PST
In reply to: oh man....

yeah...your polite manner in your delivery does kinda suggest that Wink

Collapse -
by Nicholas Buenk / December 12, 2007 5:31 PM PST

Molly's been on a role recently. Confident to speak her mind in amusing ways.

Collapse -
You know whats worse?
by Dirty Pirate / December 12, 2007 10:08 PM PST

The fact that I just bought one of those guys a week ago.
darn darn darn darn darn...
Would love to swear but this is a rated G forum.... darn it.

Collapse -
Only a week you say?
by Nicholas Buenk / December 12, 2007 11:00 PM PST
In reply to: You know whats worse?

Return it as a defective product. Grin

Collapse -
by mementh / December 15, 2007 10:50 AM PST
In reply to: Only a week you say?

tell them that you had bought a deal and it just wont share files like any other equivilent product..

they might try to convince you to keep it though..

Collapse -
by Dirty Pirate / December 17, 2007 1:50 PM PST
In reply to: Only a week you say?

I took it back. After some careful wording and negotiating I was able to exchange it for something else.

When I explained to them that I bought it under the premise that I was going to be able to access (notice I did not use the word "share") ALL my files and that the nature of my work I am traveling around, I should be able to access all of my media, not some of it.

I explained the story to them and we went online to the site and there it was in back and white. Needless to say, they were not happy and agreed that it was the sucketh.

I was able to negotiate an exchange item but not a refund. It was the best I could hope for and took the offer.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?