Laptops forum

General discussion

THank you KENsamRamon

by kulkidjp / July 22, 2004 3:03 AM PDT

I dont know if you remember me from a while a previous post, but i was looking for a notebook for college. Thanks to your wonderful advice about the the HP ZT3000/Compac x1000, i have purchased an ZT3000 and could not be happier. The notebook is utterly beautiful and i love the keyboard.
Thanks to your advice about harddrive speed and screen resollution i have saved myself a good amount of money.
Thank you once again Kensamramon =D
-kulkidjp

HP zt3000:
1.7 pentium M
60gig 4200
64meg 9200 ATI
XP PRO
1280 x 800 resolution.
512 ram (2x256 chips)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: THank you KENsamRamon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: THank you KENsamRamon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: THank you KENsamRamon
by KenSanramon / July 22, 2004 7:40 AM PDT
In reply to: THank you KENsamRamon

Did you order the ZT3000 custom? If so, you would be better off (no cost change) getting 512mb of RAM in 1 stick instead of 2 as that allows you to add more RAM later. I did not order custom so my setup is like yours (prebuilt).

2nd, are you satisfied with the 4200 rpm hard drive? The 5400 rpm hard drive is the faster one. I also only have the 4200 but I don't do a lot of program work. Surfing the web via wi-fi doesn't use the hard drive much but if you use a lot of programs the 5400 will benefit you. You can always get your own 5400 or 7200 hard drive later though.

Good choice of the Pentium M 1.7 Dothan (between too expensive and not being a Dothan).

Make sure to join X1000forums.com (covers all 3 machine types) as you will be aware of bios updates and other issues.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / July 22, 2004 7:42 AM PDT

Also, keep in mind there is a $100 rebate for either the HP or Compaq custom built notebooks. Online it says $30 for the Compaq X1000 and $50 for the HPZT3000 but if you go to the HPshopping home page and click the available warranties link you will see that you can use the $100 warranty instead (pick the one that runs from 2/1/04-9/1/04 purchases.

Collapse -
by kulkidjp / July 22, 2004 11:39 AM PDT

The 4200 rpm hard drive IS some what slow when running multiple applications but I dont usually run many applications at a time. I should be OK (i guess).
The 512 (2x256 chips) were chosen to save money. NOte: i had to get my parents approval since they were buying it for me=D Price for them was a major factor. In fact, I almost didnt get the zt3000 but im glad it worked out.
Thanks again

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / July 22, 2004 12:14 PM PDT

Congratulations on your Pentium M ZT3000 laptop and you should be fine with the stock hard drive and 512mb memory.

Make sure you check out further details on your machine at x1000forums and also keep your bios and driver updates current (at HP site).

I guess you did not read the posts at the forum as many students order only 256mb of RAM from HP/Compaq and then they can add 512mb of RAM to the 2nd empty slot at around $100 (so you get more memory for less)from Crucial or Kingston (only 1 slot is easily accessible).

But I have the configuration you have so you will be fine with it.

Collapse -
by oro123 / August 3, 2004 11:08 PM PDT

Did you buy extended warranty? Does Costco offer extended warranty?

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / August 4, 2004 4:56 AM PDT

Oro123:

I do not have an extended warranty as I use it mostly at home in my living room (using wi-fi -- the router is on the 2nd floor).

Note that if you buy the notebook on an American Express Platinum (only regular credit card allowed at Costco -- they actually put your Costco membership photo on the back) you get an extra year of warranty coverage through AMEX for free (doubles warranty up to 1 year).

Visa and Mastercard Gold or Platinum card offer this sometimes as well so check out that option. Thus, I have a 2 year limited warranty for no extra cost.

HP offers extended warranties for 3 years (adding 2 years on to 1 year standard limited) either as a limited warranty or one that covers accidental damage (if you drop the notebook and crack the LCD for example that is accidental damage and you would have to upgrade to that warranty coverage) -- limited warranty is for defects in the components under normal use.

Either way if you want this extra coverage then get it through HP or whatever notebook manufacturer you end up purchasing.

Note, most business notebooks like IBM and the Toshiba Techra line (and HP business line) offer 3 years as standard but that is reflected in the pricing of the notebook.

Again, buying a custom HP/Compaq or Dell through the Costco website gives you a 6 month return policy but the warranty from the manufacturer would still apply and you can get any additional coverage you want through them (can be upgraded on custom order screen) if desired.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / August 4, 2004 4:48 AM PDT

I hope to see you on the X1000forums ...

Note, make sure you send in for the $100 rebate good for either custom orders of HP or Compaq notebooks through 9/1/04 (use it instead of the $50 HP rebate posted on the ZT3000 order screen).

You can find it by clicking the link to mail in rebates at the bottom of the main HPshopping homepage (PDF file).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.