HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Thank you (again)

by janne / November 8, 2004 10:43 AM PST

Thanks to all of you for all of your help and suggestions. I do have Norton and it doesn't expire until Spring 2005. I update and run it frequently, so hopefully it's okay.

What is Win Doctor?

The pop ups happen when I log on to my files and again when I attempt to open various programs (media player, Norton, Internet Explorer, but not Word Perfect). Yet, all of the programs seem to be running okay. I just have to keep pressing "ok" and the pop ups disappear. They only started after I ran the adaware program , so I'm sure I deleted something that maybe I shouldn't have, or as someone suggested, the program is still there.

I have a lot of great suggestions from all of you and plan to look into all of them. I think I will print them all off and go through them step by step.

This computer stuff is addicting as I was up until 1:30am last night loading and running AVG anti-virus to help compliment Norton. I just couldn't seem to tear myself away from the computer until I had done it and then continued on reading other posts and problems on this forum. A couple of viruses were detected and some that could not go into the vault...but that will be my next bunch of questions to this great forum lol.

Thanks again. Janne

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Thank you (again)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Thank you (again)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like
by Steven Haninger / November 8, 2004 10:56 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you (again)

you're spending more time swatting at flies than enjoying the picnic. Since you mentioned using IE, you can find all over these forums that Mozilla Firefox comes highly recommended. I use it myself and it's release of version 1.0 is imminent. I get no pop ups and, with few exceptions, it seems to do all that IE will do. For such that it won't, I don't really need it. You can load your PC with utilities to clean, arrange and protect, etc. It's time to load with software to do something useful. Enjoy.

Collapse -
Re: Sounds like
by janne / November 9, 2004 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds like

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out Mozilla Firefox.
You're probably right, I'm spending a lot of time swatting flies and not enjoying the picnic.
However, having said that, I have to admit, my picnic in all of this is watching the enjoyment on my children's (7 of them, ages 11 to 23) faces when they can use the computer for what it is intended for and are all excited because it is so much faster now...cuz having to listen to 7 kids complaining about a slow computer is certainly not my idea of a picnic lol.
...now, if I can just get them to stop arguing about who gets the computer first...
Thanks again, Janne

Collapse -
Re: Thank you (again)
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 8, 2004 7:08 PM PST

It sounds like you've caught the bug janne, Happy

I hope you continue to enjoy exploring your computer. I still do, years after I got my first one.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Thank you (again)
by roddy32 / November 8, 2004 8:30 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.