Desktops forum

General discussion

TFT Monitor does not power up at switch on

by duncs / January 8, 2004 2:30 AM PST

Hi,

My PC worked ok until yesterday.
I pressed the 'sleep' button on my wireless kbd and the pc switched down. The TFT monitor went into 'power saving' mode, no display and just an amber LED.

Problem is, when i switch the pc back on i get no display, not even a post screen and it switches straight into power saving mode. I connected the TFT to my laptop and it works fine, great picture etc. This narrowed the prob to my base unit or peripherals in my mind.

I have a wireless Keyboard and Mouse and am running Win XP Home. Have tried pushing buttons on the keyboard and even booting pc without keyboard connected but same thing!

Any help would be 'MASSIVELY' appreciated.

Regards, Duncan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TFT Monitor does not power up at switch on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TFT Monitor does not power up at switch on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Unplug it all from the AC lines, count to ten and back on. ???
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2004 2:44 AM PST

Collapse -
Re:(NT) Unplug it all from the AC lines, count to ten and back on. ???
by duncs / January 8, 2004 3:07 AM PST

I tried this. The whole system was shut down, all cables removed, re-attached and then powered up again...same fault??

Collapse -
Then a part is broken.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2004 3:22 AM PST

I have to use another machine to test the display.

I have to use another display to test the machine.

You get the idea.

Bob

Collapse -
monitor wont power up
by marcus197 / July 4, 2009 8:01 PM PDT

just put a new mother broad in. when starting up everything works fine but the monitor just keeps going to stand by.no matter wot i try it wont work

Collapse -
Sounds similar
by deniceels / July 4, 2009 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: monitor wont power up

to my friend's issue. Secure tightly all connections, that includes the graphic card, connector pins, etc. The last time it happened was a loose cable not secured tightly.

The next possible is the power scheme you've setup for the system. Have you done similar procedure before without any problem?

Check your bios for the power settings as well. Disable sleep mode to, wake-on-lan, etc. Run as normally power-up/power-down instead of putting it to sleep, and work from there.

Collapse -
Re: monitor
by Kees Bakker / July 4, 2009 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: monitor wont power up

Two questions:
1. Monitor connected to the motherboard or a separate videocard?
2. It goes to stand-by. When? Do you see the BIOS POST, Windows starting, the Windows welcome screen, the desktop?

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?