Samsung forum

Question

Texting from Galaxy Tab 3 without Android phone?

Hi, I was wondering if there is a way to text (SMS) from my Galaxy Tab 3. I've seen apps like Mighty Text, but they only work with Android phones, and I have an iPhone 5. I haven't found anything yet but wanted to see if anyone might know if there's a way that allows me to use my existing phone number. The model numbers for my devices are below:

Galaxy Tab 3 model number: SM-T210RZWYXAR
iPhone 5 model number: MD638LL/A

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Texting from Galaxy Tab 3 without Android phone?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Texting from Galaxy Tab 3 without Android phone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
While technically feasible.

In reply to: Texting from Galaxy Tab 3 without Android phone?

I don't see an app for that. The problem is that if you have a phone that can text, why would I need to do that on my tablet?
Bob

Collapse -
Ease of use

In reply to: While technically feasible.

Sometimes I don't want to keep switching between my phone and my tablet. It's just a minor thing and I was moreso curious if it was possible, because I know you can do it with Android phones. No biggie though, and thank you for checking. Like I said, just a minor inconvenience to repeatedly switch between the tablet and phone Happy

Collapse -
Re: Ease of use

In reply to: Ease of use

Collapse -
is a need if looking for

In reply to: While technically feasible.

Granted YOU may not see the need but that's IRRELEVANT. Who are you to tell someone ELSE what THEY need...im looking for the same thing and for the same reason: if I wanted to be texting from my phone I already would have done that...smh

Collapse -
Then head to developer forums and ask for it to be made?

In reply to: is a need if looking for

If you can't find it, maybe a developer will fill the void?

And let's be clear, if you lash out at folk during your search they may not look for you.
Bob

PS. I find XDA Developers to be a hot bed of authors.

Collapse -
Responses

In reply to: Then head to developer forums and ask for it to be made?

The point was that you added NOTHING but a comment about what YOU think the person asking the question should do, ie, just use his phone(no solution or alternative). So if you weren't going to address the question with an answer you should NOT have commented. I see smart/snide/useless comments like that all the time and decided to respond to yours. That is all, no hard feelings, just advice: if you don't have a real answer don't comment Wink

Collapse -
Tip. When you get to the forums, tone that down.

In reply to: Responses

Or folk may think you are demanding others do this for you. I don't mind looking but tone it down.

And head to XDA where folk write such when we can't find or write our own app.
Bob

Collapse -
head to xda should've been your response

In reply to: Tip. When you get to the forums, tone that down.

But you didnt say head to xda...hence my comment: you were being one of those smart alec(k)s who dont answer the question. Now if that's what he should have done...why didnt you say THAT instead of saying he should just use his phone? Btw thats only for you to answer-no reply needed

Collapse -
I will reply.

In reply to: head to xda should've been your response

Sometimes we get a member demanding that all answers be 100% correct and all ideas brought forward. I've yet to meet such folk so you post your question and hope for others to pile on.

My best advice is to tone it down so you won't cheese off those that respond. I see all types here and hope you find your app.

There are reasons why texting without a phone is not done, but you may explode on that discussion. Well, I do know how but it costs a little. I'm running into some that think it should be free. Maybe, someday.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Can you text on galaxy tab E?

In reply to: Texting from Galaxy Tab 3 without Android phone?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.