Resolved Question

Text size changes in outgoing Windows Live Mail

I use Vista sp2 with IE9, McAfee Total Protection and Windows Defender. Everything is updated.

I use Yahoo Mail withinWindows Live Mail. My text size is
set at 14 everywhere.

Recipients of my email are reporting that the text size varies from very large to very small within the same message. Yet
when they forward it back (for me to see) - it looks just as I
had sent it (using text size 14).

Why is this happening and how can I fix it??
Thank you in advance for your help.

Discussion is locked
blucyg has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Text size changes in outgoing Windows Live Mail
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Text size changes in outgoing Windows Live Mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Why yes it's true.

The reasons are MANY but let's cover one simple one. Font substitution.

If you are sending HTML, Rich Text or those other than ASCII emails if there is a font they don't have, the receiver's email software and OS has to substitute a font and you see this happen.

The second reason is their email settings.

You can try using the same font in your email but given how this system works there is nothing busted here. Or you could say it's been busted for over a decade depending on your point of view.

Hope this helps,
Bob

- Collapse -
Reply to 'Why yes it's true'

That tells me why it is happening - but - how do I fix it??
Thank you for your help.

- Collapse -
Are you using a Non-Standard Font?

If you are using a non-standard font in your emails, then if the recipients don't have that font, problems like these can occur.

The solution there is conformity. Use a font that is present on (nearly) everyone's computer, eg Ariel, or similar.

Mark

- Collapse -
Besides using common fonts?

You could send "plain text". Then rendering and more is strictly up to the receiver. If they want 12 point, that's their choice. If another wants 8 then they get that.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thank you

Thank you for the tips. I will try them - and - I'll post back the out come.

CNET Forums