Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Text of Gerald Ford Statement on Defense Secretary Rumsfeld

by EdH / April 21, 2006 11:31 AM PDT
LINK

I have been extremely troubled by the efforts of a group of retired generals to force the resignation of our Defense Secretary, Donald Rumsfeld. President Bush is right to keep him in his post. It is the President?s decision - and his alone.

Allowing retired generals to dictate our country?s policies and its leadership would be a dangerous precedent that would severely undermine our country?s long tradition of civilian control of the military.

I completely agree.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Text of Gerald Ford Statement on Defense Secretary Rumsfeld
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Text of Gerald Ford Statement on Defense Secretary Rumsfeld
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I never had a problem with President Ford...
by grimgraphix / April 21, 2006 1:56 PM PDT

but one should remember that he did pardon Nixon. Wink

I am reminded of something we used to tell the kids we worked with in juvenal lockup facilities as they tried to rationalize the behaviors that got them into lockup.

If one person tells you your a screw up they could always be wrong... if everyone you meet tells you your a screw up then you may want to reexamine what you've been doing that got you in the situation your in.

How many times has President Bush and Secretary Rumsfeld stated publicly that they listen to everything their commanders have to say?

Unfortunately, when you consider history, Truman replacing Macarthur and Johnson replacing McNamara did nothing to fix those situations. I doubt that relieving Rumsfeld would do much at this stage of the game either.

grim

Collapse -
If one person tells you you're a screw up...
by EdH / April 21, 2006 8:23 PM PDT
they could always be wrong... if everyone you meet tells you your a screw up then you may want to reexamine what you've been doing that got you in the situation your in.

It's NOT a universal opinion that Rumsfeld is a screwup.I think they ARE wrong. This has more to do with toes being stepped on than anything else.

The fact that Ford pardoned Nixon and whether you agree or disagree with that has nothing to do with it.
Collapse -
RE: if everyone...
by caktus / April 22, 2006 1:53 AM PDT

''Everyone'' told Winston Churchill that he was wrong and to shut up.

''Everyone'' told Ben Franklin that electricity was but a toy.

''Everyone'' told Lincoln that abolishing slavery would be bad for the country and the economy.

If like the targets of school yard bullies these folks had backed down what do you think the world would be like today?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Half a dozen is hardly everybody. Not by a LOOOOONG sh
by Evie / April 21, 2006 8:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
The retired generals are expressing their informed opinions
by Ziks511 / April 22, 2006 2:00 AM PDT

regarding the performance and suitability of Rumsfeld as SecDef., as they are entitled to do. It is of course entirely the President's decision to keep or fire him. To characterize the generals as "trying to force the resignation" is Ford's opinion, but is not necessarily accurate in regard to the generals' intent.

Are you trying to say by quoting him that opinions contrary to that of the current Administration, even when uttered by those with extensive experience in the field are not to be permitted? That way lies danger.

Rob

Collapse -
It's inappropriate.
by EdH / April 22, 2006 2:28 AM PDT

to undermine the Sec when there's a war on. They have the right, but it's a bad thing to do. I think Ford was correct when he said that it was bad for the toops' morale and that the Generals were trying to force a resignation.

There's a time and place for everything and this is not the time nor place. In my opinion Rumsfeld ruffled too many feathers in his quest to remake the military and that's what's behind this more than anything.

Collapse -
They are wrong ...
by Evie / April 22, 2006 2:31 AM PDT

... ESPECIALLY the more recent ones who were active and involved in the planning as it went forth. The moral action at that time would have been to resign in protest.

There's a difference between what is to be permitted and what is appropriate Rob.

Collapse -
re generals expressing their informed opinions
by Dragon / April 22, 2006 11:03 AM PDT

I strongly suspect, from what I have heard discussed is that there is a "story behind the story", here. In other words, they didn't like the new 'faster, lighter' army idea in the first place. It could have been a paradigm they could not quite accept. I know that this is often a problem, no matter what arena we are talking about, whether it's in science, business, or whatever.

Collapse -
I've grown cynical enough of our press

to think of this not as a fishing but a ''dredging'' operation. It's probably easier to find generals who support D.R. but that would not stir controversy. The press has alergic reactions when they sense too much ''harmony''.This is their form of medication for the affliction.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?