HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

Question

Text box displays garbage and is always on top

by fan1cowboys / November 2, 2011 10:08 AM PDT

I have a text box that appeared the other day. It is about 1 1/2 inches by 5 inches on the bottom right of the monitor. It is always on top. Does not appear in safe mode. I have closed all processes until windows crashes without it going away. It appears to be part of the start up menu but msconfig does not show anything in startup that shouldn't be there. There is a similar thread in windows 7 form and a screenshot that is identical to mine. The link is http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19411_102-545274.html Not showing on any antivirus or malware scans and rkill found no malicious processes running. I am at the end of the limited knowledge I have. It is a real nuisance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Text box displays garbage and is always on top
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Text box displays garbage and is always on top
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
That one was a mystery
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 2, 2011 10:01 PM PDT

and it still is because the poster never returned.

Please do this;

1] With an empty desktop, (eg no windows open and just the Taskbar and any desktop shortcuts showing), take a screen print of the whole Desktop, save it as a JPEG file, upload that to your favored image hosting site then give us a link to that image.

It may help us see more.

2] In that other discussion more advice was given about tools to use, (AUTORUNS AND HiJackThis) which might help you pin this down.

3] Also, a link was provided to Then Please try This - CNET Spyware, viruses & security Forums, which is a comprehensive guide to run utilities to root out any malware.

As was said in that post, this issue is not well known and in fact I haven't seen it before, so at this stage we are as in the dark as you are, so more work needs to be done.

Mark

Collapse -
screenshot
by fan1cowboys / November 3, 2011 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: That one was a mystery
Collapse -
Without looking at output of Hijackthis or Autoruns
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2011 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: screenshot

I fear this will remain a mystery.

Tell the forum a little more. Does it show on the boot up or BIOS screens? How about Windows Safe Mode?

Remember that the picture is nice but to fix it my bet is we'll have to look at the log files.
Bob

Collapse -
Agree with Bob
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 3, 2011 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: screenshot

What I notice is that the image you provided and the image in the other forum discussion you provided a link for, those two mystery text boxes look identical as far as I can see.

To me that points to some new sort of malware but to get further you will need to look into AUTORUNS and HJT.

It's interesting that the text box is just above the Notification Area, (where the clock is). Can you tell us what Startup applications have ions there? We can't ask the other poster what startup applications he has as he hasn't responded. It would have been nice to compare the two. I'm just wondering if some error message is being displayed in an unknown language or which is corrupted.

But AUTORUNS & HJT is the next step.

Mark

Collapse -
Ran AUTORUNS and HJT
by fan1cowboys / November 6, 2011 7:53 AM PST
In reply to: Agree with Bob

I ran both AUTORUNS and HJT, but I have no idea what to do with the info either gave me. HJT had a pop up box warn me that it could not change the hosts file. Recommends that I change it manually by deleting what it displays on the list or that I run the program as administrator. All programs I have give me the option to run as administrator when I right click the icon except for HJT. I did try to modify the hosts file but my will not allow me to save the file once I have deleted what HJT recommends. I need help with the data given by these programs.

Collapse -
Using AutoRuns and HJT
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 6, 2011 8:03 PM PST
In reply to: Ran AUTORUNS and HJT

I will confess I have never used AutoRuns myself, so I am not talking from experience.

That said, both these utilities are designed to help you discover what is happening under the hood of your OS, and in your case, specifically to try and find out where this strange text box is being generated from.

The problem for us is that we have never seen this before, apart from the one other case which you provided a link to in your first post, but that poster never returned so we couldn't get any further with it.

However you're doing well so far, (honestly! Happy ), but this is up to you as we can't see your system.

The link below is "How-To-Geek's" walkthrough for using AutoRuns;
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12837/use-autoruns-to-manually-clean-an-infected-pc/

Step through that guide and investigate what software runs when you log into your Windows account. It will help you identify software and services, and help you search for more information. I can imagine it won't be easy and may take time, but you don't have to do it all at once and can take your time.

Similarly with HJT there is a tutorial here; http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-hijackthis/

I wouldn't try to amend the HOSTS file just yet without letting us know what entries HJT suggested you remove.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Remember we are not seeing the log files.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2011 1:26 AM PST

So we can't comment. BUT I THINK YOU ARE ASKING HOW TO RESEARCH the items in the log files. In short I use google when I find a new line I haven't seen before.
Bob

Collapse -
Problem was Norton
by fan1cowboys / November 20, 2011 10:17 PM PST

I want to thank you all for your eagerness to help. Just like in the other thread my problem was with Norton. I unistalled my Norton Internet Security 2011 when I saw it fixed the other persons problem and it fixed mine as well. Still not sure what it was exactly but it actually worked for me as I was about to dump Norton anyway.

Collapse -
It was Nortons?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 21, 2011 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: Problem was Norton

Well I'm glad to see you got it fixed, but surprised at the culprit.

That other post was enlightening;
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-19411_102-5233368.html

Norton, free Comcast edition. That might be a clue in fact. Although free, it was likely a trial period install and when the trial period expires perhaps that is when Norton started doing strange things. We have noticed this before when the Norton renewal license is expired but not renewed.

Good work!

Mark

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Comcast free Norton Security caused the problem
by Komputer-Guy / December 10, 2011 3:37 AM PST

My niece had the same problem. When I uninstalled the Norton Security software that was a free download from Comcast, then rebooted, the problem went away. I then went out and bought her a copy of Norton Internet Security and installed it and all is working just fine. So much for "free" from Comcast.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.