Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Texas getting close to Montana speed limits,

but not quite.

Last time I drove on a long trip, small parts of West Texas had 75MPH vehicle speed limits, and most of New Mexico and some of Arizona also had 75MPH limits on the Interstate.

By the end of this month the Interstate just out side of San Antonio all the way to El Paso, some 600 miles away may be at 80MPH. Some other highways will also get 80 or 75MPH speed limits.

Ah, now to buy a Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, or or one of those new fangled electric cars.....

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA051506.01A.speed_limit.d4f8be9.html

Login if needed:
Username: gigem@aggies.com
Password: gigemags

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Texas getting close to Montana speed limits,
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Texas getting close to Montana speed limits,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My local news/talk station....

In reply to: Texas getting close to Montana speed limits,

....was talking about this yesterday. They pointed out that this will mostly benefit rural drivers and the people most likely to push the limit will be young rural men.

In a related story, the state is cracking down on people who don't wear seat belts. The biggest offenders? Young, rural men.

I'm fine with raising speed limits where it's safe to do so, but people need to smarten up and belt up.

Collapse -
We don't have any speed linits up here. So to speak.

In reply to: My local news/talk station....

Technically the speed limit is 65 mph. But Everybody drives 75 to 85 Bumper to bumper too. One slip up and its like a Nascar crash. The State Police partrol sometimes in souped up Mustangs but its suicide to try and stop someone. If they cruise around in marked cars, it causes grid lock so I guess they just figure. got to it idiots.

George

Collapse -
NJ is like that too

In reply to: We don't have any speed linits up here. So to speak.

Where the limit is 55, the troopers generally let you slide up to around 70; beyond that you are likely to be stopped (if the trooper can get through the traffic and catch up to you!).

Where NJ really rakes in the bucks is on local streets, where the speed limits are nearly all much lower than they should be -- 25 in most cases, sometimes on 4-lane non-residential hilly roads where it's IMPOSSIBLE to go 25 unless you ride the brake. I heard of people getting pulled over for going 27 in a 25 zone!

They don't kid around here in TX. 45 means 50 tops.

Collapse -
Have a lot of those side streets here too

In reply to: NJ is like that too

It's a PITA when you have a cop car behind you and they are riding your back bumper. What are you supposed to do? Go 20 mph over the speed posted on the speed limit signs you seem to pass every 10 feet when there's a cop car in the rear view mirror?

Last time we were visiting the folks my hubby got pulled over for "rolling through a stop sign". There was NOBODY around (except the cop car sitting with his lights off on the other side of a divided road). He DID stop at the sign but then released the brake to turn right. Thankfully the cop let us go with a warning after I gave him my folk's address and told him I had grown up in the area. Dunno if that helped, but it was BS to be pulled over at all. I honestly didn't know why we had been.

Collapse -
If you're talking about the hybrids ...

In reply to: Texas getting close to Montana speed limits,

... you will be better off with a fuel efficient regular car at those high speeds. If you're going at a fairly high, relatively constant speed, the hybrids are operating all gas at that point.

I haven't ever been on any of those. Are they wide divided highways?

Collapse -
Yes, agree about buying a gas

In reply to: If you're talking about the hybrids ...

vehicle rather than hybirds for high speed driving, having read articles about them.

Yes, the Interstates especially in W.Texas, N. Mexico, & Arizona are all divided with at least 2+ coming and going lanes. Most are widely divided with long open streaches.
Accidents usually happen because of falling asleep. The more serious ones are those that cross way across the divided area and hit oncoming traffic. They are almost finished in putting some type of barriers to avoid those type accident.

The 80MPH speed limit & traffic should cause people to be wide awake as it takes more attention. I know I pay a lot more attention when driving 80MPH.

Collapse -
Also with some hybrids you may need

In reply to: Yes, agree about buying a gas

Collapse -
If most accidents are the falling asleep variety ...

In reply to: Yes, agree about buying a gas

... expect more deaths with a higher speed limit, basic physics. While for short spurts you may be able to focus your concentration better at higher speed, it doesn't last long. A fatigue impaired mind is still a fatigue impaired mind at 80 mph, only the slower reaction time means the car has traveled an additional ~1.5 feet per second of delayed reaction time per mile-per-hour. For example, at 65 mph, you are travelling about 95 feet/second ... at 80 it's about 117.

Collapse -
Yeah, and at 80MPH

In reply to: If most accidents are the falling asleep variety ...

deaths instead of injuries...may lower hospital health insurance for some(I'm being morbid here Evie...;-)).

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You have a point there!

In reply to: Yeah, and at 80MPH

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.