Resolved Question

Testing And Tagging, Is it law?

I had someone come to my office, he was nice enough but he said he was from this company test and tag. He noticed that i had not had my stereo equipment tested and tagged. I take this with me as a DJ. he told me depending on the states you visit with in Australia that you have to have it tested and tagged as a DJ. ( occupation health and safety legislation ) is this right? and if so, why wasn't i told about this by government or something!?

i have been doing this for 10 + years and never heard that you have to have your stuff tested. He said it would apply to extension cords used in clubs/events that belong to me also.

Discussion is locked
stoogleaus has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Testing And Tagging, Is it law?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Testing And Tagging, Is it law?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Sounds about right for Oz

From what I understand, the Australian equivalent of our OSHA is a lot more strict/draconian in what they are allowed to do with an employer's workplace. Regulations in the US are not nearly as strict, at least as far as the 'we are allowed to come into your space' sense.

I found this if it helps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_and_tagging

- Collapse -
thanks

thanks, i rang around and found i had to do it. Well there you go, learn something new every day.

- Collapse -
Answer
Why ask here?

This is a governmental regulation that you ask your governmental agencies. You should never accept a forum answer. Also since any link can be spam, you won't use that service.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Proof of identity

First thing I'd want to see would be some official document saying who he is and what he can do/enforce. I can understand as there are some strange hook ups out there and they can become lethal. Maybe it's just a question of liability on behalf of the club owners. Regulations don't exist in California, requirements and enforcement is usually up to a county or venue enforcement. Strenge things have been known to happen with extention cords, not always having to do with the electricity.

- Collapse -
Answer
Testing and tagging of electrical equipment in the workplace

The law is now uniform across Australia.
You will notice in high profile places exposed to the public test tags are appearing on appliances. I have noticed tags on computer monitors at Australia Post and Telstra.
Organizations such as councils and shopping centers are insisting on appliances being tagged on their properties.
This has led to a dramatic drop in injury and fire.
for more info go to www.testandtagssydney.com

- Collapse -
Underwriters Laboratories

In the US the agency UL tests all electric devices in innumberable ways for safety. No device gets a clean manufacturing go ahead until they can meet the testing parameters. Then a bright yellow "UL" sticker will be applied. Usually afixed near where the plug enters the cabinet/chassis or plugs in. That's a standard in the USA.

- Collapse -
The old post.

Seems to have covered it well and is now closing.

CNET Forums