Networking & Wireless forum

Question

test xamp server-how to secure it on home network

by superfly611 / January 18, 2015 11:41 PM PST

I have a Windows 7 computer running xampp test server on it. I was wondering if I could somehow lock it extremely well out from the rest of my network so that I can still get into it from my home network and allow the developer to connect to it from wherever he's located for a project I am doing. Right now my main router is an asus rtn66u. I have the basics of networking understood but just need some help locking it down. I don't want to put it in the DMZ because then it is completely open to the Internet. right?
So so far here are some of the options I was given elsewhere:

" to have a second Internet connection brought in.. "
That's not an option for me.

"connect that WAMP server directly to the internet (after the modem, before the router). Have a second Ethernet interface connect to your existing router, and use WAMP server to route traffic to it."
Not An Option

"hosting your WAMP server out on AWS rather than on your personal network. "
Not An Option

"obtain a whole other PC to use for a firewall box. Can be anything cheap (and I mean cheap). Add a couple of LAN cards. A free Linux firewall application (ipCop, pfsense, etc), and use the DMZ function in that."
Not An Option

That being said are there any other options I can try?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: test xamp server-how to secure it on home network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: test xamp server-how to secure it on home network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Yes (about the DMZ question.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2015 11:55 PM PST

There is no way to fit all there is to know about securing a server here. It's now a big deal but you dismissed options before you got off the ground. Why not find run a LAMP instead?
Bob

Collapse -
Replying
by superfly611 / January 19, 2015 3:10 AM PST

Sorry I don't mean to dismiss everything right off the bat but I'm looking for alternatives besides ones I listed. I figured I just List them so we don't waste time going over them. As for the LAMP I have no idea foR anything about linux so that's why I didn't go that route. I don't mean to limit it so much.... But there's got to be other solutions right?

Collapse -
I'll have to wait for them.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2015 3:14 PM PST
In reply to: Replying

You listed some of the best, and securing Windows is so well done as well as it won't fit in this text box unless we leave stuff out.

I think LAMP is a great solution as it's crafted from the ground up to be secure as can be.

Why do you think you need to know Linux? Apache, MySQL, PHP is the same there are on most other OSes. I noted something about Linux a decade ago.
-> http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm
Bob

Collapse -
About the lamp
by superfly611 / January 20, 2015 1:28 AM PST

I don't know.. I just feel more comfortable with windows and I don't know if the developer will want to use linux. When you say I "listed some of the best and securing Windows is so well done as well as it won't fit in this text box unless we leave stuff out" what do you mean?
I'm trying to do this as easy as possible an cheap as possible. It doesn't make sense for things just like bringing in another Internet line and things like that that I listed when this is just a test machine. Those were just some suggestions I got another from another Post that I was not going to try to implement.

Collapse -
Again, where does Linux have to be used?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2015 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: About the lamp

When we are developing web apps or sites we tend to focus on Apache, PHP, SQL and such.

If you want to expose a Windows PC to the internet, well that topic is rather overdone. And I can't condense it all to fit here because if I leave out any detail, it's just as bad as dumping it all on you?

Why not go with your WAMP, backup your system from time to time so you can recover if you are hacked?

-> The really really short security answer is to port forward only what ports are needed rather than expose it all in the DMZ.
Bob

Collapse -
port forwarding
by superfly611 / January 20, 2015 7:24 AM PST

I know how to do port forwarding so I'll give it a shot. I guess that can make it a little more secure. I just don't want the developer to be able to go through my network and have access my other computers somehow. I have passwords on the other computers but I guess I will have to make them a little harder.

Thanks anyway for the suggestions

Collapse -
linux
by superfly611 / January 20, 2015 7:28 AM PST

LAMP -isn't that only used with Linux?

Collapse -
Or in a Virtual Machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2015 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: linux

I had a really short dev thing I needed to check out so in went LAMP to a Virtual Box machine and it's as secure as I've seen. Just try to jump outside a VM. Just try it. If they did, well, they are quite the magician.
Bob

Collapse -
linux
by superfly611 / January 20, 2015 11:04 AM PST

Don't hackers use linux? I I always thought it was more open so to speak more . Easier to make changes and get into hack. What distro I think it's called would you recommend? I'll see if the developer would be okay with it??

Collapse -
That's a first.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2015 11:21 AM PST
In reply to: linux

Your replay is fine but shows there is must to learn. Since I can't write it all in this small box why not WAMP and port forwards as needed?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!