PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Test PSU

Hi There can someone point me in the right direction of a web site that shows how to test a ATX PSU ie what voltages etc should be coming out of what leads etc. I realize it should be under load conditons, MOBo and at least one hard drive but the rest I have no idea. So your informed help would be greatly apreciated. Kindest Regards Tony B.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Test PSU
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Test PSU
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Test PSU

In reply to: Test PSU

Collapse -
If you have a DVM with reasonably sharp test probes

[OSHA will hate you. LOL] You can probe the rear of the power connector on the mobo. The black leads are all common [ground in most peoples terms].

The main 5 volts is on pins 4 , 6, 19, and 20. The main [once] 12 volts is on pin 10 [now there is also a separate 4 pin 12 volt connector, 2 pins 12 V and 2 Gnd, it is now spec'd to be provided by a separate set of rails in the supply]. The 3.3v is on pins 1,2, and 11.

The pins run from 1 thru 10 down one side and 11 [next to 1] thru 20 down the other side. The 11 thru 20 side has 4 black wires the other row only 3 black wires. 5 volts are virtually always Red.

Minus 12 and Minus 5 volts are virtually no longer used.

Testing an ATX standalone means you have to learn how to turn the supply outputs on. Robert's link probably shows that.

Collapse -
Re: Test PSU

I chuckle over some stories. Why do you need to test it? Pwr supply fan runs=+12 good. Processor fan and other fans=+12 good. Hdd spins, Cdrom drive opens=+5 good. Need meter (Harbor Freight ~$5) for -5 -12 -3.3, which I have found burnt out a few times because the current rating is small.
www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps4.htm is a link to describe the voltages of typical ATX supply.

Collapse -
What does the current rating have to

In reply to: Re: Test PSU

do with a voltage scale????? They draw virtually zero current. That's the point of a voltmeter. The old D'Arsonvals were usually 10,000 OHMs per volt. Modern digital are multimegohm.

Meter burnouts occur when one tries to measure 120 VAC when on an OHMs scale [does it every time].

Collapse -
not the meter, the power supply

In reply to: What does the current rating have to

-12, -5 are rated at about 300-400ma, while other voltages are rated 5a-20a. The point being that the minus voltages can be easily burnt out. I don't think they have the same interupt as the + voltages do. Short out the +5v and the pwr supp will restart instead of burn out.
Lightening or other way excessive surges can more easily burn out -voltages, as has been my experience.

Collapse -
Re: Test PSU Thanks

Just a thank you to all who have contirbuted to this discussion.
Regards Tony B.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.