Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Test drive of Jive's forum search

Hey everyone,

can you guys do me a favor and give our new forum search a test spin and let me know what you think?

Here is Jive's advance search page:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5239-7814-0.html

Currently the Jive search page is live, but NOT being pointed to from any of forum pages, so it may get a bit confusing since Thunderstone (our current forum search utility) is still present.

Let me know what you think. Once this version of search is released you will be able to directly perform a keyword search within a forum or within a thread from the green search bar.

Anyways let me know what you think.

Thanks!
-Lee

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Test drive of Jive's forum search
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Test drive of Jive's forum search
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) it works:)

In reply to: Test drive of Jive's forum search

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) wtg! impressed :-)

Collapse -
Very impressive

It is very impressive. I like the way it gives the wording with the finding. Much easier to use and finds things quicker

Collapse -
maybe needs a little ''fine tuning'' Lee?

using this link and putting jonah in the author box, i get the could not find user jonah page

but on that same page,(with the additional "all CNET forums" button) putting jonah (or jonah jones)in the search box gives me a list of all posts with my name in them, but not authored by me...

a search for vega (J Vega) will give all posts with the word (Los) Vegas...

Collapse -
That is the expected behavior for this search feature...

In reply to: maybe needs a little ''fine tuning'' Lee?

With this search it only allows exact username to be inputted in the field. Jive's native search for some reason doesn't allow wildcards for usernames. I guess it's because it hits the username database directly to surface the results, rather than scrapping the site like Thunderstone does.

I know it is a minor draw back, but ultimately this will help solve the issue with the problem we are currently seeing in some profile pages where some members' posts are not surfacing as theirs.

Here's how the newer profile will look for you Jonah:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5270-4-0-2.html?userID=1072

Collapse -
awwwwwwww shucks! [i]my very own page[/i]

In reply to: That is the expected behavior for this search feature...

ok Lee, as i'm not familiar with Jive, i thought it was "teething problems", if it's 'normal', then i like it!

thanks

jonah

Collapse -
It's still broke. . .

Collapse -
ok. . .

In reply to: It's still broke. . .

Looks like if I do an advanced search for authour it works.

Collapse -
Faults.

1. 'u have no focus with the Enter key after typing your last parameter -- only works by clicking "Search", that darned mouse again.

2. If the displayed input for a found item happens to be underlined and the default length reached before that underline terminates, all subsequent reveals will be underlined also.

Bill Gaston

Collapse -
Additional fault == "sort"

In reply to: Faults.

The listing is not sorted, latest first. With it set the way it is now, users are going to be reading messages months or years old. I'd hate to have to scroll through multiple pages to find just one I had posted -- say yesterday.

Collapse -
Click on the "Date" sort.. by default the result surface

In reply to: Additional fault == "sort"

by relevance. Not by date. However if you search by Message Author, it will sorted from newest to oldest post.

Collapse -
Suits me fine...

but I have yet to find a search engine that is as intuitive as I would like. But then again it might be because I'm too much of a perfectionist.

And life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
I like it Lee, but hope you will also keep

Collapse -
I think default should be ...

... to sorting by Date, since Relevance seems meaningless the times I've tried.

Also, the search seems to be for "or" rather than "and" -- e.g. if I search on Rhode Island, I get a ton of posts that refer to Long Island or any other Island -- even sorted by relevance.

BTW, this new font is too small :((

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.