Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Terrorists planned to poison water supplies in West

This is linked to Al Qaida again. Don't know how the rest of you all are settled for water, but we rely very heavily on major water sources like our dams and the Colorado River water going thorugh the filtration plants. Having employees there working to help poison water for Al Qaida would be more deadly than WTC even, if carried out properly.

http://www.pe.com/ap_news/California2/NV_Terror_Threat_Water_148581CA.shtml

"LAS VEGAS

"Terrorists discussed recruiting treatment plant employees to poison drinking water supplies in major urban areas prior to the Sept. 11 attacks, according to a federal bulletin obtained by a Nevada newspaper.

A federal bulletin distributed nationwide Wednesday to law enforcement agencies and water facility operators advised several protective measures to secure facilities against two scenarios, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported Thursday."

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Terrorists planned to poison water supplies in West
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Terrorists planned to poison water supplies in West
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Terrorists planned to poison water supplies in West

In reply to: Terrorists planned to poison water supplies in West

how come it's OK for giant utilities to put toxins into the air and water but it's bad for Al Qaida to do it? Why is one terrorism and the other just plain ol' good business? Bonus points if you know which is terrorism and which is business.

Dan

Collapse -
Another one:(

In reply to: Re: Terrorists planned to poison water supplies in West

BS that isSad What toxins do "they" put in the water please??? I worked for a water company and what we foiund in water tests were acceptable amounts of minerals! Depending on the area as to how hard the water and mineral contents were in the gound! Major water companies TEST the water daily and the health department checks about every 6 months!
Glenda

Collapse -
Re: Another one:(

In reply to: Another one:(

You're constant screeching of 'BS' is getting old.

You've heard of mercury?

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: Mercury -- not to mention MTBE!

In reply to: Re: Another one:(

Collapse -
Check with your local water supplier:)

In reply to: (NT) Re: Mercury -- not to mention MTBE!

In our drinking water, it is all within acceptable limitsHappy Maybe you should call your water company and ask them! Or better yet ask them to come out and test your waterHappy
Glenda

Collapse -
Yeah, wasn't that added to improve environmental impact?

In reply to: (NT) Re: Mercury -- not to mention MTBE!

And methanol to gasoline that has now entered the groundwater in CA (think that's the state)? Sometimes the solutions to improve the environment cause unintended consequences too.

Evie Happy

Collapse -

But Dan!!! You said that was the best reply I EVER made!!! Changed your mind huh??? LOL
Glenda

Collapse -

Something that may be amusing once because it is just so ridiculous, inane, and asinine becomes tiresome when constantly repeated.

Dan

Collapse -
Wow...a revelation comes to you

But can you practice what you preach now that you've seen the light?

TONI

Collapse -
I'm not preaching

In reply to: Wow...a revelation comes to you

I'm just observing your behavior. I expected that you'd recognize it but I guess I missoverestimated you.

Dan

Collapse -
Better to be

In reply to: I'm not preaching

overestimated by others than underestimated, I think.

What did you mean by 'observing my behavior'? Please expound since your reply (to which I replied) wasn't to me but rather another member.

TONI

Collapse -
Toni, based on all his posts, do you really think....

In reply to: Better to be

...Dan knows what "expound" means?

Collapse -
You'd really well to observe your own...

In reply to: I'm not preaching

...behavior. Oops, you're such a nice boy...Sooo POLITE

Collapse -
Hi Glenda

I think there is a world of difference between highly dangerous toxins and low risk toxins.
In a perfect world no toxins would find their way into the water supply, but of course this isn't a perfect world.

Collapse -
Re: Hi Glenda

In reply to: Hi Glenda

Hi SteveHappy Agreed! But our water treatment plants do a very efficient job of keeping our drinking water at an acceptable levelHappy However if terrorists poisoned our water there is no telling how many would dieSad
Glenda

Collapse -
Re: Hi Glenda

In reply to: Re: Hi Glenda

That's good as far as it goes. The drinking water system is only one way for mercury and other toxins to enter our systems. There are also the long term environmental effects, but long term thinking has never been people's strong suit.

Dan

Collapse -
I think I caught your point, Dan

I might be the only one in the free world who thinks I understand your point.

You were speaking of AIR pollution by utility companies, no the water itself. Businesses can corrupt the water supply for eating the fish, swimming. T

There are power companies in my area that run on water(TVA dams).

However, there are also those that run on coal. Regardless of the quality and hardness of the coal, it is polluting.

We have also had problems with hazardous waste (not nuclear) being dumped into our rivers. About 25 years ago DuPont was fined only $10,000 for the fish kills in the river that runs by my house. The only safe cat fish to eat is the farm grown. Some people do catch them from the river, but there is a high mercury level. Other rivers have been made unsafe for eating the fish by the dumping by other businesses.

My water supply comes from my river, and the water company does keep the supply healthy.

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re: I think I caught your point, Dan

In reply to: I think I caught your point, Dan

Hi Angeline,

I got his point too, but I thought it was cheap and cheesy to compare pollution from corporations (bad as it is) to terrorists purposefully poisoning water supplies with the intent of killing as many people as possible.

If he'd started a new thread, it might have been an interesting discussion. Tossed in to minimize (or imply that we're just as bad) terrorist activity, it just seemed in extremely poor taste.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
I agree totally!

In reply to: Re: I think I caught your point, Dan

His comment was certainly in bad taste. He should have used a different group for comparison, no doubt about that, notably businesses.

As others had taken him to task quite well and thoroughly on it, I decided to try and move the discussion to one that was applicable to pollution by businesses.

Angeline

Collapse -
Re: I think I caught your point, Dan

Which is the greater threat, that posed by a theoretical attack by terrorists, or that posed by real companies knowingly pouring huge amounts of toxins causing real deaths and disabilities? Eliminating either threat is going to cost real money. Where is it better spent?

How do we measure risk?

Dan

Collapse -
The highest risk, IMO...

The difference I see is that industrial pollution has been going on since the Industrial Revolution. Though it has contributed to a lot of health problems (some very serious) over the years, it has not resulted in mass deaths. The price we pay and have paid for modern living.

For terrorists to slip something into a water supply would result in mass deaths, which is their goal. They could sabotage water treatment plants, which would result in chaos and suffering, but deaths are their measure of success.

There is a water treatment plant within 4 blocks of me. It is now surrounded by undeveloped land and high fences. It makes me feel better.

There is a huge difference, Dan.

We measure risks every day of our lives. The threat of terrorism is a new comer to the list. It is harder to accept as the as the desire to kill in as many numbers as possible is unthinkable to us. Thus I put the threat at the top of the risk list. It could strike without warning.

Angeline

Collapse -
Re: The highest risk, IMO...

In reply to: The highest risk, IMO...

Tell that to the people that are left in Bhopal. And to the thousands that suffer from the effects of pollution.

I'm not saying that terrorism is not a real threat, but that there are other threats that we know intimately yet choose to ignore.

Dan

Collapse -
Re: The highest risk, IMO...

In reply to: Re: The highest risk, IMO...

Yes, we do ignore threats with which we are intimate.

We ignore driving rules, buy top heavy and gas guzzling SUVs, don't heed weather-related warnings, send our long-growth lumber overseas, ruin the water table with new construction and pavement, pour the oil after changing it into the ground, dump our trash illegally, fail to keep guns and our medications where they can't be reached by children, don't lock our cars, use illegal drugs, practice unsafe sex, don't finish our antibiotic prescriptions, we live on fault lines.... on and on and on. And I live on a river, so take a risk.

We did learn a lesson from Three Mile Island. And, IMO, one from Bhopal.. Dupont no longer dumps into my river. We saved "the snail darter", which, like the "spotted owl" was only a symbol of preventing environmental disaster. We are returning the diverted water back to the Everglades.

We have been guilty of reacting rather than acting, but, to be fair, industrial growth has been a learning process. Some have been forced to change their modus operandi, but some have done it voluntarily. I think we are making progress. There are some excellent watch groups out there.

We all suffer from the effects of pollution. We contribute to it as individuals. But, again to be fair, it costs a lot of money to finance public transportation to the level it should be, and we don't have it.

We know the risks we take. Re: terrorism, we don't know from where, or how, it will come.

Angeline

Collapse -
Re: The highest risk, IMO...and

In reply to: The highest risk, IMO...

just like 9/11, when you least expect it, expect it. If no other lesson has been learned, it must be 'be prepared for anything'

TONI

Collapse -
THIS is the way the left thinks?

> Which is the greater threat, that posed by a theoretical attack by terrorists, or that posed by real companies knowingly pouring huge amounts of toxins causing real deaths and disabilities? [emphasis mine]

I'm shaking my head in disbelief. If leftists cannot distinguish between the very real threat of terrorists who want to and are trying to kill all of us and industrial pollution, and apparently that is the case, I ask that you all please forever step aside and never occupy any position involving public security, public safety, or any position of public trust. Such warped reasoning is beyond my comprehension. I cannot IMAGINE where such thoughts could possibly originate, other than in the reprobate mind.

STILL shaking my head in disbelief.

SHEESH!~

DE

Collapse -
Shaking my head too David

In reply to: THIS is the way the left thinks?

I am stunned by the perverse logic.

Collapse -
Have to agree here. We are poisoning ourselves to death

Not only the water but the very ground we live on.Sad

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) So very true Dan!

In reply to: Re: Terrorists planned to poison water supplies in West

Collapse -
Well lookie here, Dan's cheering squad has arrived. Maybe...

In reply to: (NT) So very true Dan!

...Dan should know who he's dealing with. Dan: Get Mr. Thunell to tell you what he said to Ed O'Daniel one time....about the wolves etc. Byrds of a feather flock together. Eagles don't soar with Buzzards. Lions don't hang out with Hyenas.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.