Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Terrorism not Terrorism anymore

by James Denison / October 20, 2012 4:30 AM PDT
At least not so far as Hasan's obviously Islamic driven actions against US soldiers are concerned.

"Victims of the 2009 shooting at Fort Hood in Texas that killed 13 people
and wounded dozens more are outraged that the U.S. government refuses
to classify it as an act of terrorism.

About 160 victims and their families released a video on Thursday
describing the shooting — in which Army Maj. Nidal Hasan allegedly
opened fire on a room full of soldiers — and arguing why it should be
classified as a terrorist attack.

Hasan, an American-born Muslim, is accused of killing 12 soldiers and a
civilian on Nov. 5, 2009, at the post's processing center. Soldiers were
preparing to deploy to Afghanistan and Iraq. The U.S. Department of Defense has ruled the Nov. 5, 2009, shooting a case of workplace violence. Classifying the shooting as terrorism will allow the victims to receive
combat-related special compensation that provides disability pay for
medically retired service members, Stars and Stripes reports. Manning,
who was shot six times, was recently denied such benefits. "
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Terrorism not Terrorism anymore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Terrorism not Terrorism anymore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If they declare it to be
by TONI H / October 20, 2012 5:28 AM PDT

an act of terrorism, they would also have to classify all of the attempts that failed as acts of terrorism (underwear bomber, the attempt to kill the Saudi Ambassador, the attempt to blow up the Fed last week, etc... even the green on blue killings in Afghanistan), and BO can't afford to have that many acts of terrorism on his watch. His ego and face-saving is more important than taking care of our military properly.

Collapse -
Unsuccessful ATTEMPTS make him look bad?
by JP Bill / October 20, 2012 6:02 AM PDT

How does that work?

No one can stop people from "trying", you can only stop them from "succeeding".

Collapse -
do you remember
by James Denison / October 20, 2012 8:04 AM PDT

earlier attempts to bring down the world towers? They didn't succeed. They were still "terrorist".

Collapse -
Obama did find terrorism somewhere
by James Denison / October 20, 2012 8:03 AM PDT

It was in Aurora.

Collapse -
No, Toni, they make him look successful in stopping and foil
by Ziks511 / October 21, 2012 2:28 AM PDT

ing terrorist ATTEMPTS. Nor do I recognize your inclusion of the Green on Blue killings in Afghanistan as having anything to do with Obama. They're Afghani conflicts. The only mistake so far has been Benghazi.

Rob

Collapse -
The only real mistake is BO
by TONI H / October 21, 2012 3:26 AM PDT

Foiled plots......Bush vs BO........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foiled_Islamic_terrorist_plots_in_the_post-9/11_United_States

The only difference isn't the NUMBERS which Bush's record far exceeds BO's......it's in the CHARGES levied. BO refuses to charge under Act of Terrorism unless he absolutely has no choice. And you don't see the Ft. Hood massacre listed at all......Nor do you see where any of the four listed have actually gone to court/trial yet, let alone sentenced. BO's preferred method is to throw our allies under the bus instead (the doctor who helped us get OBL, the double agent who brought us the new underwear bomb, the Navy SEALs, the CIA/Intel currently, Israel working with us on the cyberattack on Iran, leaking Israel's refueling port, etc.)

Collapse -
How come your link calls Fort Dix terrorism and
by JP Bill / October 21, 2012 5:41 AM PDT
They are NOT CHARGED with terrorism...Under Bush BTW

The men, who lived in and around Philadelphia for years, were charged with conspiring to kill military personnel and attempted murder; four also faced weapons charges. All were acquitted on the attempted murder charges, and some were convicted on the weapons charges.
The men face up to life in prison when they are sentenced in April.

The government said after the men's arrest in 2007 that an attack was imminent and that the case underscored the dangers of terrorist plots hatched on U.S. soil. Although investigators said the men were inspired by Osama bin Laden, they were not accused of any ties to foreign terror groups. . . .

Prosecutors said that the men bought several assault rifles supplied by the FBI

Fast and Furious? BO...BEFORE Obama? UB UNDER Bush. (Note to self...don't forget next time F and F is brought up)

Toni...you may want to update Wiki

From YOUR link

BTW this is under Obama

2009 New York City Synagogues/ U.S. Military Aircraft it show "nothing" under the Status however if you check into the story further

James Cromitie is currently serving his 25-year sentence at the Federal Correctional Institution, Ray Brook, a medium security facility in New York State, and is scheduled for release in 2031.[25]

Onta Williams is currently serving his 25-year sentence at the Federal Correctional Institution, McDowell, a medium security facility in West Virginia, and is scheduled for release in 2031.[26]

David Williams is currently serving his 25-year sentence at the United States Penitentiary, McCreary, a high security facility in Kentucky, and is scheduled for release in 2031.[27]

Laguerre Payen is currently serving his 25-year sentence at the United States Penitentiary, Coleman, a high-security facility in Florida, and is scheduled for release in 2031.[28]
Collapse -
RE: Terrorism not Terrorism anymore
by JP Bill / October 20, 2012 6:17 AM PDT
And it wasn't called Terrorism before?

The men, who lived in and around Philadelphia for years, were charged with conspiring to kill military personnel and attempted murder; four also faced weapons charges. All were acquitted on the attempted murder charges, and some were convicted on the weapons charges.
The men face up to life in prison when they are sentenced in April.
The government said after the men's arrest in 2007 that an attack was imminent and that the case underscored the dangers of terrorist plots hatched on U.S. soil. Although investigators said the men were inspired by Osama bin Laden, they were not accused of any ties to foreign terror groups. . . .
Collapse -
OH YEAH!!
by JP Bill / October 20, 2012 6:38 AM PDT
Prosecutors said that the men bought several assault rifles supplied by the FBI

Fast and Furious? BO...BEFORE Obama? (Note to self...don't forget next time F and F is brought up)
Collapse -
James, you and everyone here know that...
by grimgraphix / October 20, 2012 6:37 AM PDT

... this man's crimes falls under the guidelines set by the Uniform Code of Military Justice and will be tried as a Courts Martial.

The possible penalties for his crime can be more severe than a civilian court of law (barring the death penalty). As such is the case... why are you coming to SE James, with a post designed to cloud the issue and turn this military case into a political issue?

Don't you have anything better to do with a fine saturday afternoon?

Collapse -
That's right
by JP Bill / October 20, 2012 6:48 AM PDT
Hold him down

Don't you have anything better to do with a fine saturday afternoon?

Nope...pouring rain here..;.ALL DAY...AND for another 3 hours at least.
Collapse -
You may have failed to note
by James Denison / October 20, 2012 7:13 AM PDT

The part I quoted mentions only the US Department of Defense. I challenge you to find the word "Obama" in any of it. Is it your contention that the DOD is a political organization now??? If not, the question then is, why you see something covered under the UCMJ as a political matter, and furthermore after you seeing that way, turn around and accuse me of doing what you yourself have done? Enjoy the rest of your afternoon.

Collapse -
I challenge you to find the word "Obama" in any of it. Is it
by JP Bill / October 20, 2012 7:53 AM PDT

I challenge you to find the word "Obama" in any of it. Is it your contention that the DOD is a political organization now???

I notice you didn't challenge Toni.

Collapse -
challenge Toni?
by James Denison / October 20, 2012 8:05 AM PDT

On the word "they"???

Collapse -
RE: On the word "they"???
by JP Bill / October 20, 2012 12:05 PM PDT
In reply to: challenge Toni?
and BO can't afford to have that many acts of terrorism on his watch

In Tonispeak BO=Obama
Collapse -
Where does "Obama" come into my post at all?
by grimgraphix / October 21, 2012 5:58 AM PDT

Why do you even mention it to me since I never said Obama either?

Here we go once again, with James' patented redirection method where he brings in things that have nothing to do with the conversation.

Try to stay with me here, James. Maybe we get teach you something ...

A civilian crime is a civilian crime.

A military crime is a military crime.

OK, here is where it might get confusing so concentrate REALLY hard...

When a US soldier commits a crime against civilians... it is still a military crime. You see how that works there, James? We see examples of this periodically in Japan where a US soldier, sadly, will rape a Japanese civilian and the the DOD will fight tooth and nail to keep the trial a Courts Martial.

Now... terrorism is a political action. To try somebody for terrorism means that you are trying them for their political (in this case religious) beliefs first, and then any actual crime second.

Quick aside... What are your feelings about "hate speech" laws, James? Do you think that someone who commits murder and writes a racial slur on the body should also be charged with hate speech? Do you think that slur somehow made the murder twice as bad?

Anyway, trying someone for terrorism in a civilian court makes some small bit of sense but trying a soldier for terrorism for attacking his own comrades makes a murder trial into a political event.

It also, would frankly be something that Hasan would like to see happen. It would give him a chance to speak loudly and on the record about his political and religious beliefs.

Collapse -
So you don't think
by TONI H / October 21, 2012 8:05 AM PDT

the Ft Hood killer was making a political statement with his Islam chant as he opened fire?

Collapse -
(NT) you really don't have a clue, do you?
by grimgraphix / October 21, 2012 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: So you don't think
Collapse -
no, that was religious
by James Denison / October 21, 2012 11:46 AM PDT
In reply to: So you don't think

like "praise God and pass the ammunition" Silly

Collapse -
Connection via emails
by TONI H / October 20, 2012 8:21 AM PDT

Connection via Islam chant/shout as he opened fire

Connection via info found on his computer and in his apartment

Connection via speeches he personally made in empathy to AQ

It was pronounced by BO as a 'workplace' killing before the DOD even had done their investigation.......heaven forbid somebody disagree with him....even if it means giving benefits that soldiers SHOULD be given. That base became a war zone and should have been tagged as a terrorist act immediately.......or at the very least, BO should have shut the hell up until the investigation was done enough to call it that. This is a prez that is always out to cover his *** and he's done it again over the last month. The words 'terrorist act' sticks in his craw to the point that he just can't say it without gagging. By NOT saying it, he has again appeased.

Collapse -
Does this mean 9-11 attack on World Towers
by James Denison / October 20, 2012 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Connection via emails

in NYC is now just a flight training exercise gone violent?

Collapse -
wow James, you'l say just about anything to justify yourself
by grimgraphix / October 21, 2012 6:02 AM PDT

That's a pretty disgusting comment... but since you said it to put down Obama it's.... still a pretty disgusting comment.

Shame on you, son.

Collapse -
You'll say and do anything
by James Denison / October 21, 2012 8:56 AM PDT

to defend Obama, even when he's not under attack, not even mentioned. You are getting paranoid about it. That's the path to becoming an Obamatron. Don't get upset at me for just pointing out the other side's methods of thinking and labeling things.

So you think "terrorism" can only involve civilians? Not actions away from a declared war zone at all? Not actions motivated by something other than orders given? I'm thinking you don't really know what terrorism is.

Collapse -
you're the one who keeps trying to make this about Obama
by grimgraphix / October 21, 2012 9:18 AM PDT

The question one has to ask oneself is this... do I want a president who worries about the economy and world relations and national defense... or do I want a president who worries about what legal charges should be brought against a nut case religious fundamentalist?

Trying to lay this on Obama is extremely petty.

And trying to redirect away from the fact you just horribly disrespected with a glib comment, everyone who died on 9-11 is... well, that is just you being you. However, I will remind you of this since this is how you obviously want to play the game...

Bush didn't get Osama.... Obama did.

What? What's that? All you taste is your foot in your mouth? Got nothing to say that can twist that little fact, do you?

Collapse -
you need to stand on your head
by James Denison / October 21, 2012 11:48 AM PDT

before your brains leak out of your feet. I NEVER said anything at the start about OBAMA, but about DOD, but if I'd wanted to blame Obama for it since he's COMMANDER IN CHIEF I would. Quit.....telling....lies. (and get over yourself)

There's enough for people to have disagreements on without you making up even more.

Collapse -
(NT) " * "
by grimgraphix / October 21, 2012 12:04 PM PDT
Collapse -
RE: a persons brains are leaking out through their feet?
by JP Bill / October 21, 2012 11:54 PM PDT

How come their brains didn't leak out all the other orifices BEFORE it got to the feet?

Sometimes I wonder if (other)people think about what they say.

Collapse -
BO got OBL with Bush's policies...
by TONI H / October 21, 2012 5:21 PM PDT

The same policies that BO rallied against during his first campaign and didn't get rid of once he took over the Oval Office.

The only clueless ones are the ones still defending and supporting BO.

Collapse -
The only clueless ones
by JP Bill / October 21, 2012 8:38 PM PDT

The only clueless ones are the ones still defending and supporting Bush.

Collapse -
and then reality raised its ugly visage...
by grimgraphix / October 22, 2012 2:06 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?