Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Terror Trains: 186 Killed, 1,000 Hurt in Madrid Blasts

by Rosalie / March 11, 2004 2:40 AM PST

This is so tragic!

MADRID, Spain (CNN) -- A series of co-ordinated bomb attacks on Madrid's commuter train system killed at least 190 people and wounded more than 1,200 at the height of the city's rush hour, the Interior Ministry said.

Spanish officials are blaming terrorists from the Basque separatist group ETA -- designated a terror group by the United States and the European Union -- for the attack.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/03/11/spain.blasts/index.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Terror Trains: 186 Killed, 1,000 Hurt in Madrid Blasts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Terror Trains: 186 Killed, 1,000 Hurt in Madrid Blasts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Terror Trains: 186 Killed, 1,000 Hurt in Madrid Blasts
by Mary Kay / March 11, 2004 3:52 AM PST

This is so sad. We have got to figure out a way to settle our differenc in a humane way soon

Collapse -
BREAKING NEWS - may have been Arab terrorists, not Basque separatists
by Josh K / March 11, 2004 4:18 AM PST

No details yet but CNN is reporting that documents in Arabic were found amid the debris.

Collapse -
Makes sense, Del.
by Paul C / March 11, 2004 8:36 AM PST

The Basque separatists of ETA have traditionally launched their attacks against Spanish government facilities, as well as assissinated Spanish govenrment officials. Any civilians killed in these outrages have fallen under the heading of collateral damage. This attack specifically targeted civilians and came about a week prior to Spanish national elections. This reeks of Islamofascism to me...

Collapse -
Just for the heck of it........
by Del McMullen / March 11, 2004 10:21 AM PST
In reply to: Makes sense, Del.

....and just some wild thinking.

I would think that the 'real' al Queda is watching and open to any incident, if or not it is their work, that they might claim responsibility. I suspect they have boiler-plate press releases ready, needing only to fill in blanks.

Remember, terror, in the form of anxiety and unrest over a population, is as effective as an actual incident, and much cheaper and easier to pull off. As we have witnessed here in the USA, and other countries, this kind of terror also is very expensive to the victim.

This incident in Spain, and the follow-up 'press release', has sent shock waves of anxiety thruout the world.

And how do we know that this incident wasn't the work of copycat Islamic radicals, or a combination of extremists/radicals, other than members-in-good-standing of al-Queda.

Collapse -
Re: Just for the heck of it........
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / March 11, 2004 11:50 AM PST

Hi, Del.

Some aspects (for instance, the explosives used) say ETA, but others point to Al Qaeda. Hence my suggestion of a temporary "mariage of convenience," on the basis of "the enemy of my enemy (Spain) is my friend."

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
This worries me
by Roger NC / March 11, 2004 9:55 AM PST
"``We announce the good news for the Muslims in the world that the strike of the black wind of death, the expected strike against America, is now at its final stage - 90 percent ready - and it is coming soon, by God's will,'' the claim said. "

Hopefully just proproganda, or at least mostly, but the phrase black wind of death worries me a bit, it sounds like bioterror attack.

RogerNC

Collapse -
Re: This worries me
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / March 11, 2004 11:54 AM PST
In reply to: This worries me

Hi, Roger.

Remember Bhopal? The easiest way for them to do major damage to an American city is to release toxic gases from a chemical plant upwind -- and there are numerous chemical plants near major cities (notably New York, Houston, and Los Angeles). TV stations and news magazine shows have been doing exposes about the poor security at such placess almost since 9/11, but the chemical companies, while paying lip service to improving security, have done little -- probably because of the cost to the bottom line.

Collapse -
Re: al Queda claiming responsibility
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / March 11, 2004 11:48 AM PST

Hi, Del.

I suspect it was an alliance between Al-qaeda and the basque separatists.

Collapse -
Mass nurder!
by Angeline Booher / March 11, 2004 7:56 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:Mass nurder!
by Roger NC / March 11, 2004 11:56 AM PST
In reply to: Mass nurder!

I guess you can argue terrorism is terrorism, but somehow deliberately seeking to injure the general population without any goal other than to intiminate seems worse.

But somehow to target mass numbers of civilians not even working in a government office or military related business just seems even more evil.

No one has a perfect past, and our nation may have done some questionable things in the past, but this type of activity really disturbs me.

RogerNC

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.