HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Terminal Services in XP Home

by Decimor / April 24, 2008 3:40 AM PDT

So, I have the option to use remote desktop to access other pc's on the LAN, and I do so. The only thing is, whenever I turn around and try to access this one via RDP it won't let me. I've checked and I have Terminal Services enabled, so I'm not quite sure what to do.

This computer is running XP Home, and all other computers on the network run XP Pro.

Also, would there be wisdom in updating to Vista? Or should I stick with XP until the MS Lifecycle runs out?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Terminal Services in XP Home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Terminal Services in XP Home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you check
by Jimmy Greystone / April 24, 2008 4:37 AM PDT

Did you check the firewall? Most common source of problems for things like this, is an improperly configured firewall. Kind of a catch-22 situation... Few know how, or even want to know how, to properly configure a firewall, yet it's an essential skill to remain safe on the Internet which is something everyone wants. Few even stop to think that the firewall might be the problem.

Also, rarely does upgrading to a new version of an operating system or any other program, fix some existing problem with a current installation. Most of the time, it just makes things worse. If there's some feature offered in Vista that would be very worthwhile to you, then by all means upgrade. Otherwise, what exactly is the point? I'm not one of those Luddite types who spout the "If it ain't broke" mantra, but I like there to be some point to my spending money on something besides it being shiny and new... Because sooner or later, it won't be so shiny or new, and then what are you left with?

Collapse -
I've checked the firewall...
by Decimor / April 24, 2008 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you check

I have both RDP and RA enabled, on ALL the pc's on the LAN, so I know it's not the firewall. What gets me is that I can use RDP to do whatever to all the other pc's, just not this one. Someone told me that you can't use RDP with Home Edition, but others have told me you can.

Also, as far as Vista is concerned, I'm familiar with it, and I'd MUCH rather use XP. The only thing is, Microsoft's going to over service for XP for maybe another year, 18 months tops. Should I just upgrade now and save myself the trouble, or should I try and see how long I should stretch XP?

Collapse -
Yes, XP Home has limited that feature.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2008 5:15 AM PDT

You can google the full details but they didn't lie.

Collapse -
Then look into VNC
by Jimmy Greystone / April 24, 2008 5:35 AM PDT

Then look into VNC if Remote Desktop isn't cutting it. You could start it off as a special case to test out VNC as a potential replacement for Remote Desktop. If you like it, you can roll it out over all your systems, and if not, then it can remain in use just on that one system where Remote Desktop is limited. You could also probably buy an XP Pro license for that computer, but that's kind of expensive.

Also, if you avoid certain problematic programs on Windows, such as Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Windows Media Player, MSN Messenger/Windows Live Messenger, along with pirated programs, and file sharing/P2P programs in general... You should be pretty safe whether or not XP has been EOLd or not. I also suspect that Microsoft's Fortune 500 companies are going to pressure Microsoft to extend the support for XP just like they did with Windows 2000. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see XP being supported to 2015, though obviously in a gradually diminishing capacity.

Collapse -
are you trying to use the home ed pc as a host?
by ramarc / April 24, 2008 7:41 AM PDT

you cannot attach to a home edtion pc via remote desktop. you can use a home edition pc to attach to another pc via remote desktop.

if you're having problems with the terminal services client, download the latest:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925876

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.