General discussion

Terminal Services Client Printer redirection not working

Hi,

I may be in the wrong forum here I'm sorry. I run a Win2K3 Terminal Server. i have set up a workstation box that runs the latest Kubuntu. I also have a Samsung ML-2010 printer. The printer driver loaded up OK & works fine as a local printer on the Kubuntu box.

The problem I have is I cannot see how or where to load the Linux driver on the Win2k3 Terminal Server so when I connect to the server the printer is visable & usable in Terminal session

What I did notice in the Terminal Services Client provided with Kubuntu there is only an option to connect the Local Hard Drive & not printers, clipboard & serial ports etc etc that can be found in the Windows Terminal Client software.

I don't know if I need another Linux client that has that printer checkbox or what. If so could someone recommend one that will do the job

Any help appreciated

PS

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Terminal Services Client Printer redirection not working
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Terminal Services Client Printer redirection not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
This is all I can offer.

1. Think of the terminal services 'terminal' as if you were on that other machine and not the linux box.
2. Now on that other box how do you connect to...
3. The printer you shared from the linux box?

Again, this is only how to think through the work. As there is so much written about sharing printers, samba and more I stop here.
Bob

- Collapse -
printer help

Printing in Terminal Services.

The driver you need on the server is the Windows w2k3 or XP driver.

You can simply install the printer on the server, it doesn't matter which port you assign it too as it is only the driver itself that is required when you come to printing at the remote client.

For the printer to be seen in the client session, the printer driver on the client MUST have EXACTLTY the same name as the driver used on the server.

This must be the most commonly asked TS question I get when supporting our range of Thin Clients.

- Collapse -
Printer help

I forgot one step - you need to export the printer to rdp using the driver name you used on the server

- Collapse -
Thanks

Many thanks for your help. This is great but can anyone assist me with "renaming the driver" & "exporting to RDP" as outlined in the last post.

Thanks

- Collapse -
Thanks2

Hi,

I think I worked out renaming the printer. I just used gedit on the printer.conf files & in the printer the name changed to

the same as the printer name on the Win2K3 Server. I don't know what "export the printer " to RDP is

Many Thanks

PS

CNET Forums

Forum Info