PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Temporary Power - Help!

by AInTeL / February 27, 2005 9:14 AM PST

Dear reader,

At the present moment, I am enraged to a point where I am afraid of myself going beserk on my family, and I need some insight on the existance of a piece of computer hardware.

I understand 'tis mostly my fault, yet my ignorance is inevitable, and I need some backup help.

Just minutes ago, I fould myself staring at a black screen, momentarily paralyzed, slowly realizing that my three hours of work has just been purged in a fraction of a second. I get up to find the microwave, the hairdryer, the TV, the Stereo, another laptop, and maybe 500 watts of light on simuntaniously for no valid reason.

Unfortunately, my expensive personal computer does not have the luxury of a backup battery, therefore I suffered complete loss of all open applications and their data.

I'll stop beating around the ******* bush. I've never heard of this, therefore it's probably rare, pricy, or just uncommon - the latter being the prefered. Is there some power box that I can hook up my PC? So that the next time my foolish sibling attempts to watch the red carpet and listen to music from a different room while drying her hair (AND boiling the microwave), I will have enough time to sprint down the strairs and recover the power breaker without another heart attack.

Please let me know if there's such a thing around on the market, and how much it would cost me. I'm praying it's not going to cost me more than $50-$200.

Thanks,
-AInTeL

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Temporary Power - Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Temporary Power - Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
UPS is what they are called....
by Michael Geist / February 27, 2005 9:23 AM PST
Collapse -
Yes, a UPS is very useful but
by Steven Haninger / February 27, 2005 11:05 AM PST

depending on what software you were using, it might have created a temporary file and updated it periodically which might still open. It's been a while but I remember some MS Office programs and other suites doing this. You just have to know where the default repository is for these. Depending on the OS, it will be in a temporary folder under your user name and you can open it with the program you were using. It's worth a shot.

Collapse -
Not good
by Willy / February 27, 2005 12:48 PM PST

What the other poster suggested is a UPS device. It provides power when you lose AC. However, you seem to be experiencing a total failure of possibility the system's power supply. Even, with a UPS present, if the p/s unit decides to crap out there's no hope. If you're lucky, the system *may* have flagged your work depending on what s/w you were using. If be a power problem, rarely do things go right. Get an UPS to help prevent outside AC problems plus a decent surge protector. If you find you lost your power supply, then only a replacement is going to get you back up. Be prepared for possible lost of immediate data(at monet of failure) and/or corruption of system files of any type and any possible devices that are prone to be whacked. replacement p/s units should be at least what you had, but getting a 400W or better will help if your system was less and now stuffed with devices, best to have more wattage available.

enjoy -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by AInTeL / February 27, 2005 9:21 PM PST
In reply to: Not good

Dear posters,

Thank you for your advice. I haven't heard of this UPS device, and they seem relatively cheap... I'll probably go over and buy a intermediate unit, and get myself an actual surge protector (as i've been planning to for a long time), and throw this fake out.

The files were not saved, and I've already redid pretty much everything... Went faster this time though Wink

Well, thank you for your advice, I appreciate it.
-AInTeL

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?