Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Temporary internet files

by Diana Forum moderator / March 28, 2004 11:08 PM PST

Could someone explain something to me? I looked at this folder and all that's left is a few cookies but, when I go to properties, it says that there are 27.2 megs and 31 folders. Where are they?

I do have the folder options set to show everything.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Temporary internet files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Temporary internet files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Temporary internet files
by Josh K / March 29, 2004 1:58 AM PST

I've found that the subfolders don't appear in the right pane of Windows Explorer. You have to expand the main "Temporary Internet Files" folder in the left pane to see them. Then, if you click on one of the subfolders, any additional subfolders will display in the right pane.

Collapse -
Been there, done that, didn't work
by Diana Forum moderator / March 29, 2004 7:36 AM PST

I can see folders under documents and settings/local settings/temporary internet files but not under documents and settings/diana/local settings/ temporary internet files.

Collapse -
Re:HmmmmmmStrange
by Rolway / March 29, 2004 8:35 AM PST

Just tried that on my Temp. Internet files, Diana. First drop down folder came up "content. IE5"?? I'm using IE6. and only 4 folders below that. Anyway everything works I guess.

George

Collapse -
NT - Under which folder
by Diana Forum moderator / March 29, 2004 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: Re:HmmmmmmStrange

Collapse -
Re:Under which folder
by Rolway / March 29, 2004 9:33 AM PST

The Temporary Internet Files. Properties show 4.52MB, 5 folders. I click on +, 1 folder drops down and says "content IE5". Suppose to be IE6 I would think.
Click + on that one. 4 more show up with hundreds of files, even after I clear out Temp. Int. Files. ??

George Shocked

Collapse -
Re:Re:Under which folder
by Diana Forum moderator / March 29, 2004 9:44 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Under which folder

The only way I see all the contents is to copy it to another drive and look at it there. But I don't know what all they mean. In the alphabet soup of folder names there are a lot of flashHeads.txt at 5kb each.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Under which folder
by Rolway / March 29, 2004 10:03 AM PST

Yep, I see what you are seeing in those folders, Diana. But, gee I don't think I can help you there. I'm not too hep on these machines. Just make sure none of them look like a gear. Been told those are no, nos.
This has been very interesting though. Thanks.

George

Collapse -
I have I.E 6 George and if you look at my files picture
by SteveGargini / March 29, 2004 9:20 AM PST
In reply to: Re:HmmmmmmStrange

you will see I have only 4 folders as well.

Collapse -
Re:I have I.E 6 George and if you look at my files picture. ..Yes...
by Rolway / March 29, 2004 9:40 AM PST

I took another look at your picture Steve and yes 4 folders. But just before it when all blurry I got a quick look at a clear shot and believe yours said IE5 also.??

George

Collapse -
Something else worth doing Diana
by SteveGargini / March 29, 2004 9:17 AM PST

If you go to the Internet options, again without any internet browsers open, and take the delete internet cashe files option, or it may be called delete temporary files, and then look at the size of the folder.

Collapse -
I detect a coldness towards me Diana
by SteveGargini / March 29, 2004 10:35 AM PST

If I have offended you in the past, then I am sorry.
It may be that you don't particularly like me anyway, but that's fine - we cannot like everyone in this life.
I will not reply to any more of your posts until I know the score. Sad

Collapse -
Don't be silly
by Diana Forum moderator / March 29, 2004 10:40 AM PST

Just had other things to do.

I first had to figure out how to go to the internet options with the browsers closed. Checking them out, they are set that way.

Also had to clean up after supper.

Collapse -
I am glad about that :)
by SteveGargini / March 29, 2004 11:05 AM PST
In reply to: Don't be silly

I should have said that the control panel would be the way to go - sorry.

Collapse -
Re:That works Steve, my friend, or should I say Chap. The files are gone (nt)
by Rolway / March 29, 2004 11:02 AM PST

Collapse -
Call me friend George - we all need plenty of them these days - Glad it worked :) NT

NT

Collapse -
Re:Will do... Was thinking of UK version.of friend. (I hope) :) NT

Collapse -
Re:Temporary internet files
by SteveGargini / March 29, 2004 2:30 AM PST

Here is what my temorary files look like - 5 folders
This is on a win98se operating system.
If you exit from all browser windows, and delete any extra folders, it should be ok, and delete all the cookies unless they are Cnet,zdnet, or new york times, etc, since they sometimes hold your sign on information. In other words, unless you belong to a forum, or membership of a company, the cookie is just holding information for the benefit of that company.
http://mysite.freeserve.com/stevegargini/capture29_03_04.gif
You may need to request the browser to expand this image to full screen

Collapse -
Re:Re:Temporary internet files
by Josh K / March 29, 2004 2:36 AM PST

Not always, Steve. For example I have www.weather.com in my Favorites, and it remembers my location because of the cookie. Not as big a deal to re-enter as a username/password, but something else to consider when deleting cookies.

Collapse -
That's an interesting use of a cookie
by SteveGargini / March 29, 2004 3:32 AM PST

I does seem to be a bit of a mine field when it comes to deleting cookies. I use a cookie manager myself which automaically gets rid of unwanted cookies, but as you point out it isn't always easy to know if the cookie is useful or not.

Collapse -
Re: That's an interesting use of a cookie
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / March 29, 2004 12:24 PM PST

Hi, Steve.

My own rule is that if a cookie belongs to a site I visit fairly often, even if commercial (e.g. Barnes and Noble and Amazon) then I'll leave it. OTOH, anything from double-click or an unknown company goes. BTW, have you run Ad-Aware or one of the other spyware detectors? I run it at least every other week, and usually clear out 2-3 spywares Sad

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
I certainly do Dave thanks -
by SteveGargini / March 31, 2004 5:23 AM PST

Ad-aware is great for getting rid of spyware, etc.
After removing the dodgy cookies, I run my cookie management program to get a clean look at things.
Bad cookies show up a treat later.
Ad-aware goes further than cookies obviously, registry and directories are scanned. It's great.

Collapse -
Usually clear out 2-3 spywares? Do you also have ...
by Mosonnow / March 31, 2004 8:49 AM PST

SpywareGuard from www.Javacoolsoftware.com? I ask this because since I installed this (plus I have MRU Blaster running)and a cleaner also, my Ad-aware scans never detect anything (ditto Spybot). They did clear out about a hundred items when I first ran them though!

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re:Usually clear out 2-3 spywares? Do you also have ...
by Rolway / March 31, 2004 9:11 AM PST

Hi Mo

Its possible they are blocking stuff before it gets in. Did you immunize SpyBot? That catches 100 or more bad ones. I have Spy Sweeper going and it also picks most of the spys off before getting in and lists the ones it blocks.

George

Collapse -
All I could find at that site is spyware blaster
by SteveGargini / March 31, 2004 2:19 PM PST

not spyware guard.
I downloaded spyware blaster thinking it was freeware and found that the database associated with it is updated only with payment of a fee. Spyware blaster isn't freeware in my mind.
Adaware is freeware. Spyware guard I don't know anything about because it wasn't on the site.

Collapse -
Steve - Spywareguard - try this...
by Mosonnow / March 31, 2004 11:42 PM PST
http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareguard.html

As George says, he is happy with Spysweeper(sp?). The thing is with all of this type of software that it has to have a small footprint and sit happily with other software one has (or develop conflicts and run out of resources...). Apparently this one works for me, but I guess each person has to be sure to set Restore points before downloading any software of this nature.

Grif(sp ?) gave a Registry tool reference on an earlier thread which was not a Cleaner, but rather a recorder of new entries into the registry and other entries each piece of software generates when it is loaded - i.e. the things you miss by clicking next, and those which are never visible even if you are paying attention.

I will post to Newbies to see if Grif Thomas can re-advise this software, cos in the midst of things, I lost this one, but I reckon it would be worth having also for any new software downloaded.

Incidentally, I did a clean-up (about a year ago)against a list of "things safe to remove" and (doh!)had to re-install Windows et al from scratch. IMO the problem is that there are maybe 20 file types which can theoretically be removed, and it is impossible to re-test every piece of software on the computer to see if it still works after, (a) removing file type no. 1, then after (b) removing file type no. 2. etc etc.

Patience is a virtue in these things - maybe pick the biggest file first and do that only. Then if all OK after a period of time, go onto the next one. I do not know if the problem is because of shared files or whatever, but backing up your data files is essential, but ain't much use if you lose your operating and software capabilities.

At your own risk, as they say.

Regards
Mo
Collapse -
Re Tool to monitor entries installed by a download ...
by Mosonnow / April 2, 2004 9:57 PM PST
Collapse -
Whilst trying to download inctrl5 I got this message Mo
by SteveGargini / April 3, 2004 2:19 AM PST
There has been an error processing your last command. The DevHood Administrators have been alerted of this event.

I wonder if the download at the site has been withdrawn so that people will buy pc mag.
Just a thought!!!
Collapse -
Hi Mo - Thanks
by SteveGargini / April 3, 2004 2:05 AM PST

I have downloaded ok but would like to know a little about how it works. Do you just run the program to scan the system for the spyware, etc. or is the program running all the time, like our virus catchers?
I didn't want to clog the system up with any extra run time programs, unless they were absolutely necessary.

Collapse -
Dear Steve: Re Inctrl5 ...
by Mosonnow / April 3, 2004 4:46 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Mo - Thanks

First I am not familiar with either this program or Devhood. However, I doubt PC Mag (especially now that a subscription is required) would provide software without checking copyright issues so do not understand the Devhood Administrators alert.

Perhaps direct your enquiries to Bill Gaston (Cursorcowboy) in the Newbies thread (or Grif for Devhood), as I still have not absorbed all of the pre-download help pages.

You activate Inctrl5 before downloading new software (rather than run it all the time), to monitor received files/locations and registry changes. It is not a spy or virus guard, only a reporting tool ? so that you will know where to find files deposited and to know which files might have been left over after executing a built-in uninstall option, thus avoiding accumulated disk clutter. It can also be used to monitor changes that you make for yourself.

So, whereas Pest Patrol and Spybot for example take "snapshots" internally, this provides a written detailed report (assuming you download through it) for each event which one can refer back to, especially when restore points and snapshots have moved on and are thus irrelevant for specific software.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Sorry Mo
by SteveGargini / April 3, 2004 7:01 AM PST

Thanks about the inctrl5 info, but I meant spywareguard when I said I had downloaded. My mistake for not mentioning the program. Sad
I wanted to know if it was necessary to have spywareguard running permanently in memory, or is it like adaware, which you just load and run to check the system. I don't really want something to run in memeory none stop, I already have winpatrol running which informs me whenever something unusual runs in memory, such as a virus, if the virus software has failed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.