Mac OS forum

General discussion

temporary internet files

I am a convert from Windows, more out of curiosity, and right now I see no strong compelling reason to switch to Mac full-time. In fact, I prefer the 50-50 concept. I use my Ibook G-3 at work to view my email, and recreation, in addition to using it at church for my power point presentations in Sunday School.

Sometimes my browser, any browser (IE, Safari, Opera, or Mozilla) will freeze up or crash and I would need to force quit the program, especially Safari. I have no idea why. I also notice no indication of temporary internet files on the Mac. Are there any? On Windows, the user needs to dump the guys once in awhile.

Also, on an unrelated issue (?), my QuickTime viewer would also crash while watching a mpeg, etc. BTW, why doesn't QT play wav files?

Are these problems a system problem or a program failure?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: temporary internet files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: temporary internet files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Crashing

In reply to: temporary internet files

you did not mention what OS you are using, although it sounds like OS X of some flavor.
You might want to go with an Archive and Install to bring the system back up to par.
If you are using IE, you can dump the temp files in the same way as you would do with windows.

All the symptoms would indicate a corrupt system, which can be fixed

P

Collapse -
Jaguar

In reply to: Crashing

Sorry not to mention, but I have 10.2.8. I'm self-taught on this system so I may not know all the ins 7 outs like you guys do.

What exactly is Archive and Install?

Yesterday, amessage appeared on my screen stating (in 3 languages) that my computer needs to restart. I have no idea why. Why did this happened?

Collapse -
Archive and Install

In reply to: Jaguar

is where you reinstall the OS without losing any of your data.
it is done from the installation CD's that came with your machine or from the OS X install disks.
It will probably solve your problems.
if you decide you want to do it, let us know and we'll point you in the right direction

P

Collapse -
Unfortunately...

In reply to: Archive and Install

...I'm not sure I received a disk from Comp USA when I bought this laptop for my wife...she didn't like the Mac so i inherited it. I'll have to check my own archives (desk drawers), Considering the age of this Ibook, is it too old to upgrade to Tiger? And why does this thing take so long to boot up?

Collapse -
No information

In reply to: Unfortunately...

to base an answer on.
you have never mentioned what Mac you have or it's specs

P

Collapse -
Info

In reply to: No information

you requested: OS 10.2.8; processor 800Mhz G3; DIMMO BUILT IN 128;DIMMO/J12 512 RAM; memory 640 MB. Any other information I omitted? Thanks for your advicee..

Collapse -
Advice

In reply to: Info

My original advice still stands.
You might want to consider an Archive and Install using the OS X installation disks

P

Collapse -
Windows media player for Mac

do a google for windows media player for mac or go to the MS web site...they have a version for both mac 9.0 and lower along with a version for OS10 +...put the program in your aplications folder and it will automaticly kick in when any .wav file on the web or on your hard drive needs to be played.

Grim

Collapse -
Windows Media Player constant "unexpectedly Quit"

In reply to: Windows media player for Mac

I've got an iMac G5 os10.3.7 and the media player does nothing but the "unexpectedly quit" prompt. I'm trying to secure trash it to free up memory and trying reloading it, but it won't trash because "the htm is in use".
Apple Support, which I paid $149 for, didn't know anything about it, and Windows hasn't responded either.
Can you help?

Collapse -
Media Player

In reply to: Windows Media Player constant "unexpectedly Quit"

Drag the entire media player, including any pref files you can find, into the trash.
Restart the machine. As the player was in the trash during startup, there is no way that it can be in use or be using any other file.
Apps in the trash will not run.
Then delete it.

Hope it works for you

P

Collapse -
Not Normal

In reply to: Windows Media Player constant "unexpectedly Quit"

What version of WM viewer is causing the problem?
I'm not sure whan an "htm" is, but if you quit all open applications, then it should no longer be in use. If you have an up-to-date version, (i've got 9.0 if that helps) I'd try trashing the plist file first, and then if it still gives you problems, re-install the application.

In your Home/Library/Preferences/ folder, look for

com.microsoft.mediaplayer.plist

I also found in the same folder,

Windows Media Player Prefs
(which claims to be an Excel prefs document. leave it to Bill to make prefs files complicated)

and
Windows Media Favorites

Trash em, and see if it sorts things out.

Lampie

Collapse -
QT does play .WAV files

Just double click the .wav file and it should open in QT

P

Collapse -
Sorry, was thinking of wma files

In reply to: QT does play .WAV files

Grim

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.