General discussion

Temperature sensors in iMac

I've been using intel iMac core2 duo. There are some temperature sensors to HDD, CD/DVD and CPU... etc, I think. Apple computer is well designed for thermal control and is this big advantage for technical point of view ?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Temperature sensors in iMac
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Temperature sensors in iMac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Not really

Not really. It's not a big advantage, since just about everyone has similar sensors in their systems. Apple needs all these sensors because they tend to let things run a bit hotter than most PC makers do in order to keep fan noise down. Nothing dangerous, just in the upper range of accepted temps from Intel rather than more middle of the road for everyone else.

I'm not really a huge fan of the DVD fan placement, since it's also used to cool the video card on newer iMacs. The older pre-Late 2009 models had the video card heatsink sandwiched right next to the CPU heatsink, and the fan would blow right across the grille for each. And it's certainly better than the old G5 PSUs, which were at the very bottom of the system and the only ventilation was from the bottom. An old boss of mine called it 5lbs of <excrement> in a 2lbs bag.

One thing I will say, is that Apple has some very talented system designers, and the way the company is structured, is that the system designers tend to be the project leads. They are involved in every aspect of the system, it's not some bunch of marketing people who just toss out a bunch of unrealistic ideas for things to add to a system. The system designers at Apple are the ones who deserve the title of Genius, not the idjits who work in their retail stores.

But it's not a huge advantage really. Everyone else is just flat out incompetent at making all-in-one systems. Dell, Sony, HP, Acer... Pure garbage. As annoying as the iMac can be to work on, those things are even worse.

- Collapse -
Thanks for the kind explanation

Thanks for the detailed explanation in addition to Apple's system designers' world. It was new to me.

I don't have any trouble for using Apple computer without cleaning inside for nearly four to five years, all-in-one system machine.

Thermal control architecture is a part of history of computer itself.... they make faster machines and less temperature using heatsink, fans using cheap motors and focusing to design the computer boards. Heat from LCD monitor in case of all-in-one model.

I think Apple's all-in-one computer series are good for systems, usability and design among the computer makers. Of course, putting aside the discussion about OS.

I was thinking how to open the iMac and change the HDD if it is crushed. Then I encountered the temperature sensors via Internet articles.

Even now, I wish I could be open it and see what's the systems work and clean it inside of Mac.

Thanks for your kind explanation.

- Collapse -
All told

All told, Apple's iMac beats the crap out of the competition in design internally and externally, but there are still tradeoffs made for things like making it thinner, lighter, cheaper to make, etc. But the way they are designed, there's not a lot of room for dust to settle. The fans all point up to that exhaust vent on the back, pushing dust back out.

Opening an iMac isn't really that easy without the right tools, and for the most part, it's not something recommended for anyone who isn't trained on how to do it. The short version is you have to take off the glass on the front, then remove the display. The glass isn't overly valuable, but the display is. Then you have an exposed power supply which can give you a pretty nasty shock (trust me, been there, done that) even if the system has been turned off an unplugged for a good while. The iMac wasn't designed to be taken apart by the average person. That pretty much went away with the iMac G5 iSight models way back around the middle of the decade.

CNET Forums

Forum Info