User Name GATEWAYFORME\Administrator
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 252.07 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.11 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

When I turned on my PC yesterday I was not able to open Internet Explorer 6. None of the links worked. That happened a few days ago and I deleted Windows Update 951278 (I know that is not the exact number but it was the update that doesn't work with ZoneAlarm) Since then I hae done ZA' update to fix the problem and thought everything was working fine. I deleted the Windows update again yesterday and it still would not work. I then tried using XP's "restore to an earlier date". I tried 3 different dates but none of them worked. It just would not restore. I ran AdAware, Spybot, AVG, and Spysweeper scans. Still would not work. I then downloaded, using Mozilla, and installed IE7 which I do not like because my machine seems to run much slower when that is installed. After installation was completed IE7 would not open either. When I came in this morning the machine had rebooted and was waiting for me to put in my password. I did, the Desktop opened and I click on my IE link on the DEsktop and IE6 (yes 6) opened. Everything seems to be working as well as it has in several months now. What happened?

I haven't tried using "system restore" again as yet. I guess I will find out if that works when I absolutely need to.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: tell me what happened
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: tell me what happened
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When you say

In reply to: tell me what happened

wouldn't open, are you talking about the program or a website. If it's the website/internet connection, it could have been just that it needed a reboot.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Cound not get IE to open anyway I tried

In reply to: When you say

I could not get any website to open using IE. I did try going into program files and getting IE to open that way but was not successful, but that could be because I didn't know which file should make it open. After clicking on a few of the folders I gave up on that.

Today, I turned on my PC and I'm right back where I was the day before yesterday, even though everything worked fine yesterday. I can not open any website using IE. None of the links work. I use Eudora for email and by right clicking on a message and opening a dialogue box it gives the option of "Send to Browser". Normally that opens IE, but that is not working either. Instead I get this Error Message:
C;\DOCUME~1\ADMIN~1LOCALS~1Temp\eud4.htm
Windows cannot find 'C;\DOCUME~1\ADMIN~1LOCALS~1Temp\eud4.htm' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

AS you know CNET notifies us when someone has replied to our post and provides a link that will open your reply. When I clicked on that link today instead of opening the link using IE, I received this message:

SERVER BUSY
This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Chose 'Switch To' to activate the busy program & correct the problem.

When I click on Switch it is as if I had clicked on the "Start" button.

Collapse -
If the program is fine

In reply to: Cound not get IE to open anyway I tried

and you just can't connect to the internet (which is what it sounds like since IE opens but just doesn't connect), maybe you can reboot your routher and/or dsl modem. Also check your firewall software (or hardware if you have one). Try to ping a website when the internet doesn't seem to be working to see if it has a connection.

how to ping: go to start > run, type in CMD, type in "ping microsoft.com" (type without quotes) and you should get 4 replies and no time outs.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
IE6 will not open

In reply to: If the program is fine

I think you have misunderstoood the problem. I don't have any trouble connecting to the internet using Firefox, so I don't think it is a connectivity problem. The problem is that IE will not open using any of the linkd that I know where to find, i.e. DESKtop icon, Start\programs, etc. However, since my lst post I was able today to use "system restore" and I restored it to yesterday at 3am and I am able to open IE now, although the link in Quick Launch still does not work. Also, when turning the PC off or rebooting I get an error box the "IEexplorer will not shut down." Sometimes I have to click "end program" 8 or 9 times before the pc will shut down. Does that have anything to do with it?

Collapse -
OK, sorry

In reply to: IE6 will not open

Try reinstalling IE7 in that case.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
I don't want IE7

In reply to: OK, sorry

I don't like IE7. It seems to make my PC run slower. I had rather use IE6.

Collapse -
A Suggestion To a Different Path

In reply to: IE6 will not open

Although you mentioned earlier that you used "AdAware, Spybot, AVG, and Spysweeper", you didn't tell us what you found during those scans. That might help if you found malware. And even if you didn't, please download the free program below and follow the instructions to run it.. Let us know what you find.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from the link below:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

And if Malwarebytes finds nothing, please try downloading the full Service Pack 2 installer from the link below and run it again. (It's a large download, about 260 MB, so you'll need a broadband connection to download it in a reasonable amount of time.) It should "repair" internet Explorer 6 SP2 and fix any other corrupted files that could be causing an issue.. (Of course, that's assuming you still have IE 6 SP2 installed on the computer.)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

By the way, after you download the large file above, you may want to burn a copy to a CD so you could use it later if such was required.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
That didn't work either

In reply to: A Suggestion To a Different Path

I did all that you told me to and it didn't work. Before getting your instructions Friday, I was able to use System restore and got IE6 working but it will not work today. Monday Jul 28. And neither will "System Restore" I tried three times using different dates. It goes thru the process then tells me that the system has not been restored, nothing has been changed. I checked "Add'remove programs" and I have had no Windows updates since July 23, but none of the updates I received Jul 23 can be removed.

Collapse -
Did you know?

In reply to: That didn't work either

That many ISPs have been implementing changes to fend off that DNS exploit? I wonder if your machine has something broken that it no longer works with the new regime?

For now try Firefox or such.

Collapse -
Could be BUT

In reply to: Did you know?

I don't have any trouble using Firefox for the browser.

Collapse -
There's our clue.

In reply to: Could be BUT

Now remove all BHO's you find with HIJACKTHIS. There is a problem with IE that we can't fix but we might be able to get it ready for the drive by infection, repair it, and repeat.

There's a free lesson here.

Collapse -
Can you be more precise please

In reply to: There's our clue.

I don't know how to use HIJACKTHIS or how to get it, nor do I know what a BHO is or how to remove one. So far I have an F for the lesson because I haven't learned anything yet other than computers are a lot of trouble. I'm not sure they are worth the trouble they cause.

Collapse -
In just a few steps...

In reply to: Can you be more precise please

1. Type HIJACKTHIS at google.com to find it. Run that.

2. Click the scan button.

3. Type BHO at google if you want to learn what they are. I will not tell here since you can find the article that you can understand.

4. Now check off the BHO entries and click the Fix button.

Done.
Bob

Collapse -
I did

In reply to: In just a few steps...

I downlaoded "Hijackthis" and deleted all the BHO boxes and then my keyboard would no longer work so I restored everything I had deleted and the keyboad works now. I downloaded IE7 and think I will let well enough alone for now. Thanks.

Collapse -
That's ALMOST a sure sign of a HIJACK!!!

No BHO is known to interfere with keyboards. You have "almost" assured us that some keyboard logger is installed. I'd report this in our Spyware forum and ask "what should I do next?"

In other words, "that's not good."

Collapse -
Problem solved

After running all sorts of scans and working for a week to solve the problem, it was finally solved by uninstalling Google's toolbar. Everything works fine without the toolbar. Reinstall it and I have problems.

Thought you might like to know.

Thanks for you help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.