General discussion

Television or Monitor (the Great Question)

I recently came into a decent tax return and I have around 300 - 400 $ to spend on a new computer monitor. My current one is an LG Flatron L1710S (as seen here: http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/lg-flatron-l1710s/4507-3174_7-30524052.html?tag=mncolBtm;rnav ) and truth be told it is decent enough, the aspect ratio is a bit poor but I may just keep it as my second monitor. There was one very off thing that would happen in video games when looking at dark surfaces, the closest thing I can think of to describe it would be subtle wavy lines that looked like electric bolts sprawling all over the screen.

Anyway... my new place will have free cable, and I don't want to get 2 screens in such a tiny appartment, so I'd like one screen that does it all. My main focus has always been computers, so I am leaning towards a regular monitor. But... free cable, can't go wrong with that.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Television or Monitor (the Great Question)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Television or Monitor (the Great Question)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You heard right.

So my advice is to plow ahead with something the right size and has the VGA as well as HDMI connections.

The days of any 60, 75 or such Hz are over as the panel rates are fixed at 60. This is not an issue for most of us but if you are a 20 year old fighter pilot...

The 9200 in most machines will be ok so try to get by with just the new LCD.
Bob

- Collapse -
60 Hz is standard? Really?

Because this is what cnet's info on my old monitor says "Max Sync Rate (V x H)75.0 Hz x 80.0 KHz"
I find it odd that the frequency of an old screen would be faster than the current industry standard. And it worries me because I have run into a few problems with my current screen, and I wouldn't want it to get worse.

Basically I plan on playing a lot of video games on this and watching movies. Nothing too high end, but things like Portal 2 and World of Warcraft. Will a TV handle these things?

- Collapse -
I fibbed a little.

The actual panel rates are usually multiples of 24 and 60. You'll find out more if you research this rates up to about 600. What all those frames are used for, well if I revealed that you wouldn't find out all the other changes.

Those older users coming off CRTs usually are miffed about this.
Bob

- Collapse -
Huh?

You want me to find out the answers for myself? lol, I tried that but I'm not very good at this stuff, that's why I came here seeking answers.

- Collapse -
I can't answer that.

I can tell you that the common PC monitor and TV can be indistinguishable. But I fear you are moving from CRT ideas to how LCD's work today. If I was to shop for a LCD today my choice would be some 24 and 60 Hz capable panel with HDMI, VGA and the usual OTA HD tuner. This puts the panel rate are 120 or higher.
Bob

- Collapse -
I'll go to Best Buy tomorrow in person.

If I find a 1080p TV that I think would look nice on my desk, I'll take that. I'm sure I would be able to get a TV tuner to work, but it does seem like a bit of a hassle when most TVs have all that integrated.

- Collapse -
TV tuner card vs actual TVs

So I found some TV tuner cards over on Newegg.com

- Collapse -
BEWARE.

Our local cable company is moving to ALL DIGITAL with no options to connect without their cable box.

On top of that, the cable box decrypts the cable signal and they do not offer "cable cards."

I can't write a full tutorial about this here, but you need to ask the cable company "questions."
Bob

- Collapse -
Digital... hmmm, Interesting thing to consider.

The only reason I am entertaining the notion of keeping cable a valid option is because my next apartment is offering it for free. And supposedly it has good movie channels and Discovery and all that. But really I've moved onto computers for my entertainment...

Still, I guess it will be a good thing to ask the landlord if he knows about any deadlines for when and how the cable will be switching to digital. I remember hearing somewhere that they established a global limit for 2015, but I'm guessing it could come earlier for some countries.

CNET Forums