TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Television and AV Reciever

by kavehs1 / January 12, 2007 4:59 PM PST

I need help deceding what TV and AV reciever is best for my new home theater setup. Considering the latest news from CES, what would you reccomend as the best TV and reciever. My budget is up to $10000 for a TV and 2,500 for a reciever. They must be available by March 2007.
Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Television and AV Reciever
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Television and AV Reciever
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Lucky you - nice budget
by NM_Bill / January 13, 2007 3:49 AM PST

I'm just beginning to sift CES info. It takes some time to get informative reviews. Note that a bunch of lesser reviewers are only rehashing makers' advertising in order to jump into print quickly.

The major brands have pretty good consistency of reliability from year to year.

Additional info of viewing room size would be good as well as mentioning speakers. Do you already have pretty fine speakers to use? If not, it's easy to spend 6-8 grand for a set of delicious speakers. Thing is that the receiver/speaker dollar relationship is that we generally advise 70% cost to speakers - 30% for the receiver.

Receivers are fairly cut & dry. They are better values than ever before. Hard to tell sound difference between $250 & $2500 receivers. I, myself, do have an overkill receiver. I am a long time hobbiest who already had speakers fine for me.

Your 10 grand can get the finest plasma. Front projectors are basically beyond the scope of this forum. The front projector state of the art changes quickly. I'd prefer them if wanting a 100+" diagonal picture, rather than the comparable huge plasma or LCD. That is appropriate for the larger room which will be dimmed easily for a "real" home theater room. In true home theaters, the extra bucks for many zoned home integration & convergence make your budget suddenly insufficient.

Talk seriously with a custom installer for a front projector. In such a dedicated space 7.1 surround sound can be awesome. In more ordinary size spaces a 5.1 setup is fine. My primary viewing space is my great room. Cramming in extra channels is problematic. I won't sacrifice general livability. It is normal living space, not a "home theater."

Collapse -
Kav THE ONLY WAY TO GO
by stewart norrie / January 13, 2007 4:11 AM PST

STOP THINK. For that kind of mula you can contact a proffesional and have the home theater system of your dreams which would add value to your home. I would recomend a front projection system to give yuou a real movie theater experience. I just saw a new Sony front projector on a 110" screen and it had the most beautiful picture I have ever seen. Iam going to look it up and give you price and model #. For that kind of cash and done properly you will be in heaven Also check out some home theater magazins to get an idea of whats out there stewee

Collapse -
KAVE SONY VPL-VW50
by stewart norrie / January 13, 2007 4:27 AM PST

Full 1080P vidio projector $4.999.00 add a screen lets say $700 and you are rite on target Like I said before this kind of installation should be done by a pro.In closing I have spent 5 years building my little home theater 1 piece at a time from a local custom home theater business I have done some of the work by my self and they did some of the work but goimg by there advice I have a system Iam very happy with and in the long run I saved money please post back to us and when your done you can ask us over for the football game ha ha steweee

Collapse -
tv and receiver
by kavehs1 / January 13, 2007 4:39 AM PST

I prefer the product to be a flat panel or rear projection as they we be placed in the family room. As for the speakers they are not the lastest, but they do the job and we are not willing to invest in them right now.
Thanks

Collapse -
THE PANASONIC 65" PLASMA MODEL "TH-65PX600U" LISTS FOR......
by Riverledge / January 13, 2007 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: tv and receiver

A COOL $9,999.95. I'm sure you'll find it for less.

river.

Collapse -
Most of use will drool at you budget.
by jcrobso / January 15, 2007 12:53 AM PST

When the new products are at the stores is not clear, but now is the time to start looking, the build up is on for the super bowel Sunday sale.
If you want the spend that much then Pioneers and Panasonic Plasma sets are the ones to look at. Both have brought out 1080p plasma sets this year.
As for the AV receiver you could cut your budget in half ($1200) and still get more receive than you could probably use.
As for the speakers what do you have?? If they are really good keep them. Good speakers will last a very long, long time. John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!