Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

telephone plug in back of computer

by littlebit1000 / May 2, 2007 9:59 PM PDT

Hi.. I have a real newbie question here..Been on dial-up for a little over a year now, know absolutely nothing about DSL, but I have bit the bullet and have decided to go highspeed. Now here's my question; with the dial-up connection, I have a fax machine plugged into the telephone jack on the back of my computer, Can I keep this fax machine plugged into there with a DSL connection?, and if yes do I have to put a filter in the telephone jack located on the back of my computer as I have been instructed to do with all the other phones on my line. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: telephone plug in back of computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: telephone plug in back of computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need
by PudgyOne / May 3, 2007 5:24 AM PDT

to plug the fax machine into the wall with a dsl filter.

You can run two or more items using the same dsl filter.

Your DSL modem is the only item that cannot have a DSL filter, everything that is plugged in must.

Collapse -
thanks, but one more question
by littlebit1000 / May 3, 2007 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: You need

can I use a triplex jack adapter instead of a duplex jack adapter or will this affect my highspeed if too many things are plugged into one jack.
Thank You...Liz

Collapse -
Use the double
by PudgyOne / May 3, 2007 10:47 AM PDT

to split your line

Then plug your DSL modem into the one without the filter

in the other slot, plug a DSL filter in then add your triple slot adapter. Now you can plug your phone, fax and answering machine into these.

Any appliance that is plugged into a phone line, that has DSL, need to have a filter.

The only item that does NOT get a DSL filter is the DSL modem.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Thank You
by littlebit1000 / May 3, 2007 1:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Use the double

so much; for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get all these to work with such minimal resources(only one phone jack)but now that you mention it, it makes so much sense ...Thanks..

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?