Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Technical question ... not sure which forum to try ...

by Bill Osler / December 25, 2008 12:59 AM PST

Is this a PC question? Or a Mac question? Or a hardware question?

My sister-in-law must bought her 2nd computer, a new Mac. She has been using an old Toshiba laptop for 10+ years (not sure, probably Win 95), and she has limited technical skills. She is in Atlanta so I cannot inspect the machines. Personally I know nothing about Macs. My best guess is that the old laptop has no USB, no CD burner and no network adapter but that it does have a floppy drive as well as serial and parallel ports. The new Mac presumably can read DVDs but not floppies. I don't know whether they have serial/parallel ports.

Any thoughts on how to transfer files from the Toshiba to the Mac? I've asked her for more information but I am not confident she will be able to answer my questions. She's smart, but not at all technically oriented.

My impression is that newer Macs should be able to read CDs generated on newer Windows system but I'm not even sure of that.

Any suggestions for how to proceed?

My off-the-cuff guess is that the easiest solution is to have a computer shop produce a CD of the files.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Technical question ... not sure which forum to try ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Technical question ... not sure which forum to try ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, Macs can read PC disks...
by EdHannigan / December 25, 2008 1:06 AM PST

Vice versa too, generally. Don't know if that will help.

A shop MIGHT be able to transfer the files over for her if she brings them both machines (is the Mac also a laptop?).

I'd ask on a the Mac or Mac Hardware Forum.

Collapse -
The critical question is what OS she has.
by Kiddpeat / December 25, 2008 1:07 AM PST

The computer shop is probably the easiest option.

If she has Win 98SE, it supports USB. It would also suggest that the machine has a USB port. If so, something like a Jump Drive could be used to move files. That assumes that she knows how to copy files.

Collapse -
(NT) Doesn't Mac advertise free file transfer with purchase?
by JP Bill / December 25, 2008 1:18 AM PST
Collapse -
best method if win95 computer
by James Denison / December 25, 2008 3:48 AM PST
Collapse -
Does the Toshiba have an internet connection?
by Cindi Haynes / December 25, 2008 5:23 AM PST

Upload files to an FTP site and download to the Mac?

Collapse -
As you said she has
by Angeline Booher / December 25, 2008 6:21 AM PST

.... limited technical skills, my suggestion is that she have the files transferred in an Apple retail store.

Also, problems can arise when well meaning fiends and neighbors try.
A Mac is a different ball game, and does not operate the same way as Windows.

I had mine done on-site (in my home) by an Apple tech, and the transferring went very smoothly and did not take very long. I learned then and since that procedures are often easier with a Mac. Mine was done with CDs, a connecting cable, and some floppies (I had bought an external floppy drive in anticipation of data I wanted on the new machine).

That being said, I recommend the MacOS forum first, where they would guide her to another forum if it would be more appropriate.

There are excellent tutorials on the Apple site. tell her to look for "Mac 101" which goes over the differences in the platforms.

Just be sure to give the system information as noted in the red print above the subject line. And she should let hem know her technical skill level.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Thanks for the suggestions ...
by Bill Osler / December 25, 2008 6:38 AM PST

I have not heard back from her about system specs for either PC. I suspect that if I were to attempt this I would use the IDE drive enclosure ... but I don't think I could talk her through the process over the phone and I am not going to Atlanta any time soon.

I agree that the Apple store might be the best choice in her case. I didn't know they offered that service.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?