Computer Help forum

General discussion

tearing my hair out error 721

Okay heres the long version so i dont miss any details.

I system restored my year old Sony vaio 3 days ago. And liek every teenager ive long since lost my cds to my hardware (alcatel speedtouch USB modem specifically)
So i hunted down the drivers and installed them. i then installed the update to the drivers to make them as current as possible. I plug the modem in and the DSL line syncs. i put in my username and pass and click connect... the connection hangs and eventually i get error 721 : the remote computer did not respond. so i went in search of error 721 and it lead me to Remove and install TCP/IP and Remove reinstall DUN both of which did no good at all. I knwo the modem is not the problem as i have the same modem and drivers installed on another omputer and it works fine. I have tried reformattign again. copying tcp/ip files from computers that work... nothing... im at a loss.. i dont even knwo which piece of hardware to replace if i need to... am i goign to have to buy a new PC? or a new windows?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: tearing my hair out error 721
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: tearing my hair out error 721
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: tearing my hair out error 721

In reply to: tearing my hair out error 721

If i need to add any info just ask

XP home
3.0 p4
512 ram
Bellsouth DSL

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: tearing my hair out error 721

just for the heck i have to ask did you contact your isp?

Collapse -

No need in my opinion for new hardware or a new PC or a new Windows. Those will give exactly the same errors if you don't install the modem and ADSL software correctly.

I find this link for installing the modem software from CD
http://www.iinet.net.au/support/adslmodems/stusb/install/stusbinst01.html
I don't have the faintest idea, of course, of what you downloaded and installed from the Internet, so it's impossible for me to tell if that was complete and correct. What does Device Manager say about the modem?

Then you don't tell if the ADSL-subscription came with any more software than just the modem driver. "the modem syncs" probably means that it's happy to talk with the modem at the ISP side of the line, but that doesn't say anything about the communication between your computer and the modem. My ADSL uses a NIC, and the modem logs on, so I simply have connection without ever typing in a username/password combination. In fact, using DUN with ADSL doesn't seem very logical to me.

The only reasonable thing to do: do exactly the same as when you initialized the ADSL on this machine a year (or less) ago the first time. If you're sure the modem drivers are OK, better contact your ISP for instructions. Their helpdesk should be able to solve this problem.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -

J0kk3rr,

"i put in my username and pass and click connect..."

This sounds like a dial-up connection. DSL is an always on connection, password/user name are used for account access and e-mail.

First in Device Manager check that all
drivers are installed. Then Try...
Control Panel/Internet Options -> in Connection Tab use "To set up an Internet Connection, click setup" Follow the on screen instructions.

For some reason untill the Internet Setup Wizard is run, Win9x and XP will not recognize the NIC card or TCP/Ip protocals.

Hope this helps and applies
Bill

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.