Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Cameras forum

General discussion

Teaming up an older AF lens with a Nikon D80?

by taboma / August 21, 2007 1:11 PM PDT

Joe,
If I used my Nikor 35-7mmm lens, F1.3.3-4.5 with a Nikon D80 body, do you think that would be a good choice to stay with? I love this AF lens from my Nikon 6006. Had excellent photos using it. I would have to scan the 35mm slides in order to show you my results.
I did mention this lens on an earlier post a few weeks ago

I do not want to spend a ton of money on a new lens. I don't mind spending some money on a good new body. Sounds kind of humerous!
A camera body that is! HA!! :

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Teaming up an older AF lens with a Nikon D80?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Teaming up an older AF lens with a Nikon D80?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Lens for Nikon
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 22, 2007 12:50 AM PDT

You might consider buying a D80 body and use your present lens.
After you use it for a few months, then decide if you want or need a different lens.

Don't rush into buying lenses right away.

Yep........almost ready for a new body myself.
Had to replace the ball-joints (knees) about 10 years ago.

Collapse -
New Body needed?
by taboma / August 22, 2007 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Lens for Nikon

Joe, You and me both. I used to ski my brains out with downhill and racing. Now I can have a hard time with X-Country skiing.
Yep, time for a new body!! :

Collapse -
I suspect sports guys, whether Canon or Nikon, will tell you
by Kiddpeat / August 22, 2007 11:34 AM PDT
In reply to: New Body needed?

they are using newer lenses. Here's why. Canon (and probably Nikon) has a newer auto focus mechanism called USM (Ultra Sonic Motor) to focus its lenses. It is VERY fast. Much faster than the screw type drives previously used.

At least that's what I've read.

Collapse -
Sports Guys?
by taboma / August 24, 2007 4:53 PM PDT

Kiddpeat, I have not had time to ask our Sports Photographers yet. Image stabililization is what I purchased for my son just three months ago with a Canon G7. The camera is awesome! Not quite a SLR, yet has a great lens and that stabilisation feature.
(Ultra Sonic Motor) to focus its lenses. About $565 from Buy.com and Amazon. They have it shipped from S&H camera anyways. I love that place.
I want a new camera to shoot garden photos. I am still torn between a Nikon D80 body and an older AF lens or just go to these new ASM, like the G7. Fabulous photos that I have seen so far. Check some of my threads concerning the Canon G7.

Stay Focused, :

Collapse -
Nikon D80 or Canon G7 for garden photos
by hjfok / August 27, 2007 11:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Sports Guys?

I think if you really like to take garden photos, you will be happier with the D80. For one thing, you need to be able to do manual focus to get the right and sharp focus. This is often a problem when there are a lot of distracting leaves, branches, petals, etc. The autofocus get confused and your point of interest gets blurred. This is even more important when you use a lens with shallow depth of field. You can decide where to focus. When you get bored with your lens, you can get a macro lens or try something fun like lens babies. The G7 will not be able to do that.

Collapse -
NikonD80?
by taboma / August 28, 2007 1:14 PM PDT

hjfok. I have never taken an auto focus with my Nikon 6006 35mm film camera ever. And I will never take an auto-focus with a D80 either in the garden. It is so simple to compose your own shot.
I will not need a macro lens. My 35-75mm Nikor does it all. The lens is an f.1.3.3. at 35mm.
I cannot find a Nikor lens that offers a f1.3.3 lens today. Wonder why?
A nice lens and very sharp. I love that lens. Such great photos.

-Kevin

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!