Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Teaching Civil Disobedience. Please disobey?

by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2014 12:02 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Teaching Civil Disobedience. Please disobey?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Teaching Civil Disobedience. Please disobey?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From very early, people learn that tantrums work
by Steven Haninger / September 27, 2014 12:10 AM PDT

As kids get older, the tantrums become more sophisticated. As adults, tantrums become better organized and people will come from far and near to join the party. Sorry...but civil discussion and the acceptance that one might not get their way is not acceptable. Through a tantrum until someone gives in and hands you a cookie just to shut you up.

Collapse -
bring back the whipping post
by James Denison / September 27, 2014 3:25 AM PDT

watch the brats stay off the streets then.

Collapse -
Did you ever see a whipping post being used
by JP Bill / September 27, 2014 4:01 AM PDT

to discipline someone, I mean, other than on a black person.

Whipping Post

I've heard reference to giving a child a "whipping" but this is the first time I've heard of a "whipping post" for "brats" (unruly children?)

I'm interested in knowing how many lashes you think not going to school warrants. Is there a sliding scale? Would the parent dish out the punishment? If not, why not?

Collapse -
Deuteronomy 25
by James Denison / September 27, 2014 4:55 AM PDT
"...then it shall be if the wicked man deserves to be beaten, the judge shall then make him lie down and be beaten in his presence with the number of stripes according to his guilt. 3"He may beat him forty times but no more, so that he does not beat him with many more stripes than these and your brother is not degraded in your eyes. "

Which is worse? A whipping, or being assaulted by even worse people while incarcerated?
Collapse -
Response to a non-response-----
by JP Bill / September 27, 2014 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Deuteronomy 25

I asked about YOU.

The "judge" witnesses...who does the whipping?

Mr OR Mrs. Deuteronomy?

The parents "control" until a certain age(depending on the determination of the parents and the stubbornness of the child)..then the "system" takes over.

if the wicked man

man?...NOT brat?

Collapse -
huh
by James Denison / September 27, 2014 5:14 AM PDT

wher
uh
what?
how when...
not?'''
uh uh uh....

Collapse -
Easily confused?
by JP Bill / September 27, 2014 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: huh

Perhaps if you took more than 2 minutes to "think AND post"

Collapse -
(NT) Bait, I think. You're looking to cry "racist"
by Steven Haninger / September 27, 2014 5:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
HEY!!!! I didn't use "whipping post " first
by JP Bill / September 27, 2014 6:09 AM PDT

IF race comes up in your mind and the interweb....

Collapse -
(NT) I'd say it came to your mind first and smells of bait
by Steven Haninger / September 27, 2014 9:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
Steve cut me a switch...
by Dafydd Forum moderator / September 27, 2014 6:18 AM PDT

... I'm gonna sort this pair out.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Never mind a switch
by JP Bill / September 27, 2014 6:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
Hilarious.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / September 27, 2014 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Never mind a switch

Gonna pass that one on.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
RE: bring back the whipping post
by JP Bill / September 28, 2014 12:52 PM PDT
Somali militants stone woman to death

Al Shabaab has banned many aspects of modern life and ordered executions, floggings and amputations for crimes such as theft.

Flogging?...That's kinda' like a whipping.
Collapse -
I taught my boys young that tantrums didn't work.
by Diana Forum moderator / September 27, 2014 9:40 AM PDT

I would just get up and leave the room. About the third room, they gave up. Then we would discuss the problem they were upset about. The learned to negotiate very young as well.

On the other hand, I would rather have civil disobedience than robots.

Diana

Collapse -
I would rather have peace
by James Denison / September 27, 2014 4:42 PM PDT

and not have the streets filled with a bunch of malcontents making noise and fools of themselves.

Collapse -
I agree. All of us need to accept that sometimes
by Steven Haninger / September 27, 2014 7:10 PM PDT

we won't get all that we ask for. Sometimes we may get none of it as well. Kicking and screaming should never be rewarded. Of course anyone who looks at the way our congress acts won't get that message.

Collapse -
You're right
by TONI H / September 27, 2014 10:30 PM PDT

however we've become such a pc nation that even when politicians behave badly, the stupid voters put them back into place.....we forgive even the worst behavior and horrendous accusations made by them against the other party on both sides anymore. This only teaches our youngest voters that you can lie and cheat and slander with impunity and never be 'punished' for it.

Collapse -
And that is what you cannot tolerate
by Diana Forum moderator / September 27, 2014 11:24 PM PDT
In reply to: You're right

That is what civil disobedience is all about. It's about not accepting "That's the way we've always done it".

Diana

Collapse -
There is a huge difference
by TONI H / September 27, 2014 11:46 PM PDT

Diana between civil disobedience that is peaceful protesting and civil disobedience that is violent and destroys property (private or public) and harms or kills people in the process.

I have no problem with people who hold rallies that are peaceful and non- violent.....there have been many of those types that I rarely, if ever, complain about because it's about their right to free speech and assembly (the one exception I've found has been the recent illegals' rally at the WH where they have NO rights in this country but believe, because of this administration, that they DO have those rights).

What we have had, however, are people who believe they are so 'entitled' that they don't care about violence or destruction of property....including the 'climate change' jerks who are supposedly environmentalists and yet leave tons of litter and trash for others to clean up after them.

Where have you gotten the impression that I 'cannot tolerate' peaceful and clean protests, Diana? The actual people who cannot tolerate that are liberals who complain about the Tea Party rallies and yet say nothing at all about the destructive and violent protests that 'the other side' do on a regular basis....'that's the way THEY've always done it' and will continue to do so because liberals are tolerant of ANY actions taken by 'their side'.

You can't have it both ways, Diana.....

Collapse -
You complained about several peaceful rallies
by Diana Forum moderator / September 28, 2014 3:35 AM PDT

because they left trash behind without mentioning that the rally itself was good because nobody got hurt.

Diana

Collapse -
So, let me get this straight
by TONI H / September 28, 2014 4:21 AM PDT

A rally is good because nobody got hurt even though they trashed the area? How is that peaceful, Diana? When you go to someone's house to visit....if you're polite to the hosts but bring your McD's or Starbucks containers and throw them on their front lawn as you visit, does that make you a good guest?

Collapse -
Your last post was about getting hurt not trash.
by Diana Forum moderator / September 28, 2014 4:48 AM PDT

With the NYC rally, it seems they protestors tried to do the right thing. The trash cans and recycle bins were overflowing. I've seen this happen in other places where the trash cans were full and the trash was around the trash can. That was from people that lived there and there was something special going on downtown.

Diana

Collapse -
Wrong
by TONI H / September 28, 2014 6:01 AM PDT

There may have been some trash cans overflowing onto the ground, but I've seen pictures that have been posted and there is trash EVERYWHERE....on steps, the street, the sidewalks, in door fronts, on tables (overflowing), sitting on cars, etc.

People who feel entitled have no concern over what they do, Diana, because there will ALWAYS be somebody ELSE out there to clean up after them. They're pigs and hypocrites.

And you can NEVER say what you've used for excuses when it comes to the OWS crowds/mobs.......THAT, all over the country, was covered constantly by even liberal media who were sympathetic to their cause, including BO and the WH.

Collapse -
(NT) Just think of all the jobs they created to do the cleanup
by Diana Forum moderator / September 28, 2014 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Wrong
Collapse -
Just think of all the extra work
by James Denison / September 28, 2014 8:49 AM PDT

they made the existing employees do.

Collapse -
(NT) Overtime
by Diana Forum moderator / September 28, 2014 11:28 PM PDT
Collapse -
"Civil disobedience", by definition
by Steven Haninger / September 28, 2014 12:46 AM PDT

means stepping outside of the boundaries of rules or laws, does it not? And I'd have to add that "That's the way we've always done it" does nothing to make it proper. I don't have a problem with folks trying to enlist additional support for their cause but does it mean that stepping on someone's toes is justified? I think we'd do better by teaching that staying in control is a better choice than displays of out-of-control anger. It's time to grow up, folks.

Collapse -
It depends on the toes
by Diana Forum moderator / September 28, 2014 3:40 AM PDT

Is it okay to step on the toes of the KKK when the civil rights marches were going on. Most civil disobedience is going to step on someone's toes whether it's the ones that don't believe in climate change or those that don't believe in gay marriage or those that believe that blacks having separate drinking fountains or bathrooms is okay because that's the way we've always done it.

I also thoroughly enjoy stepping on the toes of those that what we need is a theocracy as long as it is run on exactly what they believe like ISIS and Taliban and Westboro Baptist Church.

Diana

Collapse -
MLK's marches
by TONI H / September 28, 2014 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: It depends on the toes

were always peaceful and 'clean', Diana....

Nobody is saying that protests shouldn't happen in order to get your point across....we're saying don't be hypocritical about it by getting violent, destroying property, leaving your trash all over, setting fires, etc.

You're getting carried away with your excuses for bad behavior lately....and yet when the Tea Party has a rally that is peaceful and clean, they are criticized as radicals and racists because liberals don't want THEIR toes 'stepped on' by free speech and protesting. Aren't the Tea Party people allowed the same 'civil disobedience' that you say is ok for others? Or are only the protests for causes YOU and other liberals believe in the ONLY rallies that should be allowed?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!