Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Teachers and inappropriate sexual contact.

by grimgraphix / October 22, 2007 4:50 AM PDT

As I read this article, I was reminded of at least 4 teachers - from Junior High through High School - who my fellow students and I, were aware of having questionable relationships with their students. 2 other teachers that we were not aware of having contact with students, ended up marrying former students after these students had graduated. All but one were men... all were heterosexual. I only know of one of these teachers who ended up resigning because of their reported conduct (and I can't recall if the man ever was prosecuted).

I was struck by the comment in this article..."Students in America's schools are groped. They're raped. They're pursued, seduced and think they're in love." The reason why is because I was aware of at least 2 of these teachers who were constantly flirted with by several female students who insisted they were in love with the teacher. However, I do not give any leniency to any teacher who succumbs to a student's flirting.

Sexual misconduct plagues U.S. schools

Story Highlights
AP: Educators were punished in 2,500 sex cases from bizarre to sadistic
Accused are overwhelmingly male, often popular, recognized for excellence
Quiet punishments allow many violators move on to other schools
One in 10 victimized children reports sexual abuse, say academic studies

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Teachers and inappropriate sexual contact.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Teachers and inappropriate sexual contact.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What would appropriate sexual contact consist of?
by Dan McC / October 22, 2007 7:20 AM PDT
Wink
Collapse -
LOL...
by grimgraphix / October 22, 2007 7:27 AM PDT

... I knew someone would raise that question. Happy

There is no appropriate sexual contact between a teacher and a student... unless you're teaching the kama sutra maybe. Wink

Collapse -
Good point. That's almost always part of
by drpruner / October 22, 2007 8:24 PM PDT
In reply to: LOL...

a teacher's ethical instructions; if not, then 'inappropriate' would have to do with age of victim. Same with most professional/client relationships.

Collapse -
My state has had two....
by Angeline Booher / October 22, 2007 8:38 AM PDT

......nationally publicized cases of female teachers/teen-age boys.

But I never knew of any such cases when I was in school. There was one of our football coaches who married a girl a year after she graduated. He was less than 10 years older. In my town that was then about 40,000 in population, if they had been dating while she was a student, word word have traveled fast.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.