TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

TCP55ST50-2 Serial# MH22780253 White dots???!!!

I purchased this model TV after reading the glowing reviews here on CNET. Within the first year a white dot appeared towards the center of the screen. I enabled the scroll bar in the menu and it seemed to get rid of it. I knew I should have contacted Panasonic at that time because now that one dot appears to be getting worse and has 2 more friends.

One just appeared about 1/2 inch diagonally down and to the right from the original and another about 12 inches diagonally up to the left. I called Panasonic and they just took down the info and then asked if it happens with all devices in each input. I said yes it appears with everything. He actually asked if I tried unplugging and pluggin it back in...really? I explained the TV was off and the white dots were still there. He said he would have to refer me to an authorized Panasonic repair location, Pinnacle Service Solutions, Warwick, RI.

Has anyone experienced this issue or seen any additional info on it? This is a plasma TV and I saw a lot of search results about DLPs with white dots...maybe I just don't understand but aren't plasma and DLP two different technologies? I am concerned that I shelled out a lot of money for this TV and haven't even had it for two years and I am having what appears to be a major problem. Please help, anyone...!

JWALL21 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TCP55ST50-2 Serial# MH22780253 White dots???!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TCP55ST50-2 Serial# MH22780253 White dots???!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by JWALL21

Collapse -
No help. But

In reply to: TCP55ST50-2 Serial# MH22780253 White dots???!!!

If it's inside the warranty, let them fix it. And I think and I could be wrong you were upset by requests by support.

Here's my advice. PLAY ALONG and do what they ask. They have a checklist of things to try before they arrange for service. If you dig in your heels it may take longer to get the service arranged.

All electronics fail in many ways. You did the search but the DLP white dot is something else.

And again, always get those long warranties on the expensive gear.
Bob

Collapse -
TCP55ST50-2 Serial# MH22780253 White dots???!!!

In reply to: No help. But

It is not within the one year warranty.

Unplugging the TV didn't seem to do anything.

I plugged it back in and enabled the scroll bar. I had to re-enable it a few times, 15 minutes each time, but it seems to have eliminated the white dots...I would really like for someone to explain to me why this is happening. I am concerned about the quality of the hardware in this TV. I think CNET should be concerned about this too since they have it so highly rated.

Here's to hoping for some answers and not wasting a bunch of time and money.

Collapse -
Ouch. Sounds like some sort of image retention.

In reply to: TCP55ST50-2 Serial# MH22780253 White dots???!!!

As all plasmas have some sort of image retention that flaw or quality is in all models. I think one maker is throwing in the towel as consumers don't want to hear how it works. They just want.
Bob

Collapse -
White dot now appeared with TV off

In reply to: Ouch. Sounds like some sort of image retention.

The TV has been off for over 24 hours and the white dot in the center of the screen has appeared. This has to be faulty hardware, right? This can't be image retention if the TV was off.

Collapse -
SOLVED!

In reply to: White dot now appeared with TV off

I can't believe it! I read a few other forums and others were having the same issue. I don't think this could be the same issue I had but it was! Sunbeams were making their way through holes in the back of the TV. I just put a magazine behind the TV where the spot was appearing and it disappeared!

I am so relieved! Thank God!

Collapse -
Thanks for that.

In reply to: SOLVED!

I would not have guessed that the back was lit by nuclear power.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.