Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

TCP/IP Port Configuration

I have an application that needs to use port 177/UDP and ports 6000-6005/TCP. (The application is cygwin Xserver) I used the Windows XP firewall configuration screen to open these ports. However when the netstat command does not show that these ports are configured correctly. Netstat shows ports 6000-6005 using UDP protocol instead of TCP as I specified in the configuration. Port 177 doesn't even show up in netstat output! I get the same netstat results with the firewall turned off. So how do I configure the ports on Windows XP? Is there a way to confirm that they're open?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TCP/IP Port Configuration
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TCP/IP Port Configuration
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Questions.

In reply to: TCP/IP Port Configuration

1. So how do I configure the ports on Windows XP?

I would allow both UDP and TCP.

2. Is there a way to confirm that they're open?

See the X server function.

Remember that I've run this Xserver and while it was interesting I never bothered to look at netstat. Neat idea but you may be over analyzing. This open source project has source, a mailing list and more documentation for you to read. I will share that it worked fine for me but I can see that today's owners may rail against this sort of software as too 1970's.
Bob

Collapse -
TCP/IP Port Configuration

In reply to: Questions.

thanks Bob,

>1. So how do I configure the ports on Windows XP?

>>I would allow both UDP and TCP.

I would allow both UDP and TCP also. But I have no choice. The Windows Firewall configuration forces you to choose one or the other. Is there another way to configure ports on Windows?

>2. Is there a way to confirm that they're open?

>>See the X server function.

The X server is not functioning. So I can't use it as a diagnostic tool. That's the reason for my post on this web site.

The folks on the cygwin Xserver forum believe that something on my PC is blocking network access. They suggested I contact a Windows networking expert to find out how to verify that the ports are open.

The cygwin folks made various suggestions but nothing has worked.

Either Windows firewall configuration or netstat must not be working. Else why don't they agree with each other?

Another question, should turning the firewall off open all ports?

Collapse -
Let's pick over the questions.

In reply to: TCP/IP Port Configuration

"Another question, should turning the firewall off open all ports?"

It should but it is Windows so all bets are off here since it's a closed source system. Please don't take me to task over this answer. It's the way it is.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc875811.aspx shows the MICROSOFT FIREWALL and what I tried was to add the port TWICE. Once for UDP and again for TCP.

I make no apologies for Microsoft's firewall and if you don't like it, use something else like Zone Alarm or Comodo.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.