TCL 65R617

Related products:
TCL 55R617
TCL 55R615
TCL 65R615

Calibration report:
[see below]

TV software/firmware version tested: version 8.0.2, build 4132-30

Picture settings tested: CNET is no longer publishing advanced picture settings for TVs we review. Instead, we'll give more general recommendations to get the best picture without listing detailed while balance or color management system (CMS) settings. As always, if you want the most accurate picture for your TV, you should get a professional calibration.

Before adjusting any settings the TCL's Darker brightness setting combined with its Movie picture mode delivered the best image for a dark home theater. I measured all three of the local dimming settings (called "Local Contrast" in the menu) and High, the default for Movie, delivered the deepest black levels and the best gamma for my lighting environment.

Grayscale accuracy out of the box was solid, although my review sample was a bit plus-red. Calibration was a breeze, however, thanks to the superb app-based system with an 11-point grayscale adjustment and full CMS. Afterward the TV's color accuracy was superb. My only gripe is that there's no more basic 2-point system, but the multipoint worked so well it was worth the extra effort.

The settings below assume the 11-point grayscale and CMS controls on the app are zeroed out.

Dark room settings:

TV brightness: Darker
Picture mode: Movie*
Picture size: Auto

Advanced picture settings:

Local contrast: High
Backlight: 23
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 90
Sharpness: 0
Color: 45
Tint: 0
Color Temperature: Warm
Game mode: Off

Roku app Settings/Expert picture settings menu:

Gamma: 2.4
Noise reduction: Off

Bright room settings:

TV Brightness: Brighter
Picture mode: Movie
Picture size: Auto
[no other adjustments on-screen or in app]

HDR notes: New for 2018 TCL has implemented what it calls different HDR settings for different room brightness, but according to my tests their names can be a bit misleading. The best and most accurate setting according to my measurements was TV Brightness = Brighter and Picture Mode = Dark HDR. It delivered the best combination of light output and black level, and stayed admirably close to the target EOTF -- something few of the other modes, including Darker/Dark HDR could muster. Regardless of room lighting, I would start with Brighter/Dark HDR. In that mode color checker was decent, if not spectacular, and the same goes for P3 gamut.

The above applies to HDR10 only; I didn't measure Dolby Vision.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: TCL 65R617 basic picture settings and notes
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: TCL 65R617 basic picture settings and notes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
cal settings

Could you please share your 11 point grayscale adjustment and CMS settings that you did? That's available on the Roku App correct?

Or does anyone have any settings to share?

- Collapse -
I would for full calibration settings please

I am very interested in getting the 11 point adjustment and the CMS settings too.

- Collapse -

Hello I cannot seem to find where to do this :

Gamma: 2.4
Noise reduction: Off

- Collapse -
Roku App

You must download the Roku app on your smart phone. The App connects to your TV via Wifi and on the app in settings that is where you will find the fine tune for your tv.

- Collapse -
55R615

Would these be the best setting for the 55R615 as well?

- Collapse -
55R615 uses same picture settings

Yes, they are basically the same TV with slight differences in remotes/remote functions. Basically the 615 is the Best Buy version, which they do with a lot of products partly so you can't match model numbers for price-matching purposes.

- Collapse -
Good for watching sports?

I'm looking for some helpful information on the TCL Series 6 TV. Can anyone tell me if this TV is good for watching sporting events, football, baseball etc. considering it only has a refresh rate of 60hz. Thank you .

- Collapse -
Good job David

Thanks David, I have the 55r615,without the equipment this set is very hard to get close by eye,I will say when I first Saw your settings I was thinking,this is a long way from what my eye came up with. But I put all yours in and,was amazed,it seems the ones I thought were wrong,must of blended. This set is amazing,599,I think it would take a oled to be better. Thanks for my 300dollar calibration

- Collapse -
Picture settings

I tried those settings and it washed the colors right out. Can't tell you how many times I've heard not to use 'Vivid', but to my eye it pops the colors like nothing else without oversaturating them. I set to vivid, lower the tint to -5 to compensate for the redness, TV brightness to 'bright', and lower the gamma to 2.2 and, WOW.

- Collapse -
Adjust Dark HDR same as Movie?

David, are you making the same adjustments to the Dark HDR picture mode as you did to the Movie picture mode or are you recommending to use Dark HDR as is? It's unclear to me from the post.

- Collapse -
Me too

Id like to know this to. Please help us out. I watched my first movie (cabin in the woods) with Dolby vision on vudu last night. Wasn't super happy with the results. Turned all my lights out and watched in the dark. I had what seemed to be a lot of blooming and lost detail in really dark scenes. Thanks for the settings though. I'll be experimenting with them further as I continue to try to up my home theater experience.

- Collapse -
Call Settings multiple versions.

I just pickup up a 55r613 last night and spent a few hours exploring. I of course discovered that you can't get anywhere near serious picture settings with the standard remote.

One issue I notice on a relatively ordinary piece of documentary video that I had watched only days before was a large number of terrible artifacts , almost like an out of focus halo. It eventually subsided once the scene changed. I noticed this on my previous LG 50UH5530 as well. Turning off upscaling seemed to make it go away. But it was difficult enough on that set to tweak the tuning on a program by program basis. On this set it's worse I think? I haven't tried yet though ...

I wish manufactures would make provisions like some digital cameras do for recording custom configurations that you can load quickly when you spot some "feature" that's not performing for a video very well.

I dunno, maybe the very expensive sets do?

- Collapse -
Banding

Any news from TCL regarding the large number of complaints from users regarding banding complaints on these sets?

- Collapse -
In this price class

They seem to see banding across all makes.

I wish the number of bits per channel (color) was in this discussion. I find that the lower these bits, the more over you'll see the bands.

CNET Forums