Networking & Wireless forum

Question

TC-7610 not letting me download on FireFox, Chrome, and more

If I try to download a file from dowload.com for example it doesn't work. As soon as I try Firefox says "....could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.", Chrome says "Failed - network error", in IE, the file downloads, but after the installers download, programs like AVG or MalwareBytes do not continue to download and I get Windows errors.

I'm using Windows 10 with the latest updates and a wireless N adapter on a Dell desktop. I uninstalled AVG in case that was the problem, but then i couldn't reinstall. I temporarily disabled Windows Defender in case, but no help. I did just replace my modem with a TC-7610 with Comcast and apparently enabled IPv6 on my WD N750 router in case that is a factor. The rest of my internet works as far as I can tell with loading websites, but the downloads seem blocked for some reason.

The update is I just hooked up my old modem and didn't change anything and the downloads work again. What's going on here?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TC-7610 not letting me download on FireFox, Chrome, and more
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TC-7610 not letting me download on FireFox, Chrome, and more
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
stay away from download.com

In reply to: TC-7610 not letting me download on FireFox, Chrome, and more

stay away from download.com because any software you download will have wrappers that include adware and other utilities you wont want that can mess up your system.

either go to the softwares actual website or use ninite.com and get them all.

Collapse -
Re: stay away from download.com

In reply to: stay away from download.com

I thought download was safe, at least for the top downloads. But the downloads didn't work on other sites as well such as Adobe and it still doesn't explain why it worked on IE and then on the others after I swapped modems.

Collapse -
Mods don't advise it.

In reply to: Re: stay away from download.com

Collapse -
Answer
maybe the problem is....

,,,,with what you are trying to download. Two sites and two browsers, I call that a website download problem, not your computer.

Collapse -
Re:

In reply to: maybe the problem is....

But they worked on IE. At least, Adobe and AVG would give me en error upon download on separate sites over hours apart with FF and Chrome. IE download the initial installers but it couldn't download the rest. Then I use the old modem and no problem on anything.

Collapse -
"old modem"?

In reply to: Re:

If you replaced your modem, then you need to get the new one registered with your ISP or your internet service may not work.

Collapse -
Yes

In reply to: "old modem"?

When I hooked up the new one, I did register it online through Comcast and then internet access seemed fine across my network, until later on I noticed the problem I described only on my wirelessly connected desktop.

Collapse -
Just an issue I come across.

In reply to: Yes

Some routers block via a firewall or other protection settings. I don't see make and model numbers so I can't check manuals.

Collapse -
Model numbers

In reply to: Just an issue I come across.

Western Digital My Net N750 Model Number - WDBAJA0000NWT-HESN
New Modem - TP-LINK Model Number - TC-7610(US)
Old Modem - Motorola Surfboard Model Number - SB5100

Collapse -
OK, those are bog standard "modems"

In reply to: Model numbers

Now you need to compare the WAN interface IP, netmask, DNS and such that shows up from one to the other modem on your router's setup pages.

Remember I take it the router is all defaults without any changes as to VPN, routing or other changes.

Collapse -
I forgot the usual. Try the usual.

In reply to: OK, those are bog standard "modems"

On the failing machine we'll want to reset the usual IP DNS, ARP and such caches. This could lead to download errors.

Google like this for each reset.

1. Windows 10 DNS RESET
2. Windows 10 IP RESET

Collapse -
Possibly solved

In reply to: I forgot the usual. Try the usual.

When comparing the WAN settings with both modems, they were the same. I'm talking about the IP, subnet mask, default gateway, and primary and secondary DNS server, sorry if there's other I didn't list. I think I have a little port forwarding and WEP, but other than that the settings should be default. However after I hooked up my new modem and did the Windows 10 DNS RESET you mentioned and that appears to have solved it. I can now download from CNET in those browsers. That's amazing if it was something that simple. I hope that solves it for good. I suppose I should enable IPv6 in my router now. But a big thanks so far.

Collapse -
this is only that computer with problem?

In reply to: Yes

If so, we are talking wireless settings. The new modem probably has different settings for wireless set than the old modem has, which means you need to create a new or second connection in that computer and have it set to WEP or WPA or WPA2 and the passkey that matches what the new router wants.

Collapse -
The router is not new, only the modem.

In reply to: this is only that computer with problem?

But yes, this was only a problem on my wireless connected and not with the wired. Everything seemed fine with the internet on both computers except those downloads on my wireless connection. I understand this sounds like a very narrow problem and is very frustrating.

Collapse -
Oh, I thought you had a combo unit

In reply to: The router is not new, only the modem.

most the ISP now supply that type. I still have a couple Motorola Surfboards here, great modems.

So, connect the computer by wire to test and see if the problem goes away. If so, then we are back to wireless settings, or need of a new wifi device (USB perhaps?)

Collapse -
Answer
Hmm, this started with Windows 10 install?
"I'm using Windows 10 with the latest updates and a wireless N adapter on a Dell desktop."

If this started immediately after the windows 10 upgrade, then reinstall the driver files for the wifi device.
Collapse -
It was not immediately after

In reply to: Hmm, this started with Windows 10 install?

I've had Windows 10 for months, it started after the new modem.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.