Question

TB drives VS 500GB Drives in RAID?

I'm building a NAS server and was wondering would my RAID config have a faster read/write speed with larger 1TB drives x4 orr smaller 500GB x6 ?? Basically is it faster to have more smaller ones or fewer larger ones?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: TB drives VS 500GB Drives in RAID?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: TB drives VS 500GB Drives in RAID?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
If only it was that simple.

In theory more drives is more speed but most of the time it's a fool's errand because the NAS's connection speed is a fraction of even a single SATA drive.

But you will encounter folk that will not think about that and feed the makers of such gear.
Bob

- Collapse -
Sneeky

I can see how people would overlook that aspect but i'm using a gigabit network to rule that out, however it has brought into my mind the transfer rate of the RAID controller as i don't think it is anywhere near as fast as gigabit. Argghh fixing bottle necking is an endless job :/.

- Collapse -
A single SATA drive media speed is published.

And it's all downhill from there. But back to the RAID on NAS. One of the problems you encounter is that folk will buy those 39 buck NAS things and wonder why it's no faster on 1000TP than it was on 100TP.

The price tag was a clue they seem to dismiss.
Bob

CNET Forums