General discussion

Tattoos in prison

TORONTO (Reuters)- Canadian inmates can now get tattoos in prison parlors under a pilot program aimed at cutting down use of unclean needles and the spread of disease.

http://reuters.myway.com//article/20051125/2005-11-25T134919Z_01_EIC549731_RTRIDST_0_ODD-TATTOOS-DC.html

Only ''nice'' tattoos allowed. So apparently dirty needles will still continue to be used on the down low if they want unapproved tattoos.

And I daresay tattoo needles are probably NOT the cause of the outrageous HepB, HepC, and AIDS rates!

I don't think this program will be worthwhile.

--Cindi

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Tattoos in prison
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Tattoos in prison
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Hmmmm, I wonder how they'll prevent the inmate tattoo

artists from inscribing gang tattoos? Seems like the gangs would say do it or else! In the absence of that, I agree, what's the point? After all, the gang tattoos are going to be done anyway. I thought that was reason enough for liberals to approve an activity. Wink

- Collapse -
I don't have adequate data, but ...

I know that Hep B, Hep C and HIV are more common in the prison population than in most non-prison populations. I'd say that getting a tattoo from a dubious practitioner would be pretty risky. It obviously isn't the only cause of the high rates in the prison, but I'm sure that if tattoos are done with used equipment then there is some disease transmission. Tattoos are certainly a major source for Hep C transmission.

Of course, as already noted, if the goal is to prevent gang tattoos and similar stuff then the program won't do much.

CNET Forums

Forum Info