Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Taskmgr not activated with Ctrl, Alt, Delete

by bala / June 9, 2004 12:59 PM PDT

Hi, I read this original posting dated June 3, 2004, and tried the regedit solution. I found that my "policies" folder did not have the "system" folder listed in the following :

Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Name: DisableTaskMgr
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1=Enablethis key, that is DISABLE TaskManager
Value: 0=Disablethis key, that is Don't Disable, Enable TaskManager

I cannot enable task manager at all. When my AOL freezes, which it has done a lot lately, I have to shut down my computer, nothing else works.

I have lately run Adaware, and removed a bunch of spyware, and malware from my computer.

How can I get my task manager working again with ctrl alt del??

Thanks,
Bala

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Taskmgr not activated with Ctrl, Alt, Delete
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Taskmgr not activated with Ctrl, Alt, Delete
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you have a total lockup, it is proper that Taskmgr is not activated with Ctrl, Alt, Delete
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2004 8:48 PM PDT

As such, you get to reboot the hard way. Is there any indication that it's not a total lockup?

Example: The Caps Lock light can be turned on/off.

A repeating problem with many PCs I see is too small power supplies and heat. And still seeing bad motherboard capacitors. Tell more about the machine.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:If you have a total lockup, it is proper that Taskmgr is not activated with Ctrl, Alt, Delete

My machine is a Compac Presario 6000, 352MB RAM.

Collapse -
While good added info, my response and ...

Since it works when the computer is working, points to possible repairs of either OS or hardware.

Try this simple test. Remove the case cover. Does the symptom occur less often or vanish?

Bob

Collapse -
''Answer this''?
by Cursorcowboy / June 10, 2004 1:19 AM PDT
How can I get my task manager working again with ctrl alt del??

When you initially boot the computer and reach the desktop, does it or does it not work then?
Collapse -
Re:''Answer this''?
by bala / June 10, 2004 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: ''Answer this''?

<<When you initially boot the computer and reach the desktop, does it or does it not work then?>>

Task manager does work when I am at the desktop. It has not been working when I am on AOL, and when AOL quits responding, my computer freezes, and task manager does not appear. That has been happening a lot lately. Task manager would appear when I hit ctrl, alt, del, in the past.

Thanks,
Bala

Collapse -
Re:Re:''Answer this''?
by Cursorcowboy / June 10, 2004 11:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:''Answer this''?
It has not been working when I am on AOL, and when AOL quits responding, my computer freezes, and task manager does not appear.

1. Then it works, but you have a problem with AOL which you're paying services for. My suggestion is that you get what you pay for.

2. The article [Q308427] states that an "event" is any significant occurrence in the system or in a program that requires users to be notified or an entry be added to one of three logs that can help identify and diagnose the source of current system problems, or help predict potential system problems.

3. The article [Q314084] describes how to gather more information about an error message using Pstat.exe, a Resource Kit utility run from the command line that gives a picture of the processes and drivers that are currently running.

4. The article [Q307973] suggest that a user should configure the actions that Windows should take when a severe error (also called a fatal system error, or Stop error) occurs. Please read the article, "A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP (Q315222)," for accessing a system that will not boot normally.

5. Access the TechNet "Windows XP Events and Errors" page and enter either the "Source" or the "Error Code". -- the two most important items of information concerning an Event.
Collapse -
solved
by nilr / January 19, 2011 8:06 PM PST

Type "GPEDIT.MSC Go" in run window. Click on User Config, then Administrative Templates, then System. then click on ctr+alt+delete options and DISABLE "remove task mgr".

Collapse -
Solved? or just a suggestion?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 19, 2011 8:21 PM PST
In reply to: solved

Your subject title suggest this users' problem is "solved". How do you know that, or was your post just a suggestion?

How do you know this user's GPEdit console has this setting in the first place?

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!