Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Taskbar Problems

I have a Windows XP and when I turned on my computer this morning, my taskbar and start menu weren't the standard blue color, but grey, like an older version. I've tried fixing this in my control panel, but it just says I'm already using a blue taskbar & start menu. I really like the modern look of the blue taskbar, so please help me- your advice will be appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Taskbar Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Taskbar Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
task bar color

In reply to: Taskbar Problems

right click on your desktop, click properties, click appearance the look at the Color scheme - Is it set to Default (blue) ??

Let me know.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) yes it is

In reply to: task bar color

Collapse -
Is your Windows and buttons

In reply to: (NT) yes it is

set to Windows XP Style?

If they are, I have no idea but would be curious to hear about the fix.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) how do you check that?

In reply to: Is your Windows and buttons

Collapse -
checking that

In reply to: (NT) how do you check that?

do the same thing as in my first response. this button is above the first one I mentioned earlier.

Collapse -
it worked!

In reply to: checking that

Daviddude- thanks for the help!!! it worked!!!

Collapse -
Yeah !!! I'm glad I could Help

In reply to: it worked!

Take it easy.

Collapse -
windows "classic" has a gray look

In reply to: (NT) how do you check that?

Collapse -
Jonah, thanks

In reply to: windows "classic" has a gray look

I could not report back to you regarding the way to put an URL on the desktop, because Lee brought down the guillotine on the thread. So this is to thank you here. It was a real eye-opener even though I thought that I knew most of the things necessary to run XP. Amos.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) you're welcome, glad to help :)

In reply to: Jonah, thanks

Collapse -
closing thread

In reply to: Jonah, thanks

who is lee and how do you know when a thread has been closed?

Collapse -
Closing thread

In reply to: closing thread

Lee Koo is the editor of the Cnet forums. Any Moderator can close a thread and so of course can he. Sometimes they announce it in the thread itself, but the sign that a thread has been closed is a yellow padlock in the forum list. It means you cannot pursue the matter any further (even if you try). Amos.

Collapse -
the thread in question

In reply to: closing thread

was in the Feedback forum (it was an "overflow" of this thread in the Win98 forum

Feedback is 'usually' limited to members comments/questions/querys/complaints about the forums in general, and when things get "too far off-track", Lee will "spring clean" Wink

jonah

Collapse -
To Amos and Jonah

In reply to: the thread in question

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !

I learned something new today.

Thanks guys.

Collapse -
Something else that may be relevant

In reply to: To Amos and Jonah

It may be that neither Lee nor any Mod locked the discussion. In fact I have just looked at it and it isn't locked.

What you may not know, is that when a thread reaches 13 posts, (I just counted them, Happy ), that thread will reach a limit and will cease to accept more posts. You get the;

''Note: Due to the depth of this discussion thread, no additional replies can be accepted. If you have comments to make, please reply to the original post at the beginning of this thread.

message.

This is a nuisance I know, especially when you're in the middle of a discussion, but there has to be a limit otherwise the thread becomes too long to display and starts disappeaing off the edge of the screen, and re-appearing on the left.

The way to get around it is to start a new thread, (note I don't mean create a new forum discussion), within the same discussion and head it something like, ''Continuing long thread'', etc.

That way Amos you could still have replied to Jonah within the same discussion.

Of course, you may already know this, hence I'll shut up! <grin>.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.