HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Taskbar- Links Toolbar Won't Display as List

by tclendaniel / June 28, 2008 2:25 AM PDT

How do I restore Vista's Taskbar/ Links Toolbar ability to display as a list?

I keep my Vista Taskbar on the left-hand side of the screen, running vertically from top left corner to bottom left corner, which usually allows me to see much more of the task descriptions. I use the Links Toolbar with Small Icons, which until this morning always showed each link with a small icon and full text.

Essentially, it looked the same way a normal Vista folder would show up in Explorer in "List Mode."

Then, like an idiot, I screwed one of the settings with a third-party tool, so that it will show either Large Icons with text description OR Small Icons- but the text description disappears altogether with Small Icons.

Essentially, the screwed up version looks the same way Vista would display Explorer in a "Tile Mode," with no text description.

So, BEFORE it looked like this:

Links

(icon1)- Shortcut to C:\
(icon2)- Shortcut to Documents
(icon3)- Shortcut to Program Files

NOW, it looks like this:

Links

(icon1)(icon2)(icon3) etc...

Ironically, if I open the Taskbar back on the bottom of the screen, the text reappears.

HELP!!! Happy

SIDE NOTE- Can I just "reset" the whole Taskbar settings and start over if nothing else works?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Taskbar- Links Toolbar Won't Display as List
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Taskbar- Links Toolbar Won't Display as List
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First stop: System Restore...
by John.Wilkinson / June 28, 2008 3:45 AM PDT

The tool you used to tweak the settings may have an 'undo' or 'restore defaults' option, but if not the simplest solution would be to run a System Restore, which usually reverses such changes.

John

Collapse -
Re-Links
by SouthernDeathcult / March 4, 2009 9:14 AM PST

check the links folder in your internet explorer favorites. That is where the links shown in the links toolbar are held, They may be corrupted somehow. Delete them and then re-add your favorite links to that folder. They should then appear in your taskbar links too.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.