Computer Help forum

General discussion

Taskbar keeps locking up.

by Blathan / March 5, 2004 6:28 AM PST

Strange. Suddenly when my computer boots up, it takes longer than usual and if I attempt to click on the Start icon (to selct a program) nothing happens. If I click on any of the icons on my taskbar (located on the lower section of my desktop) nothing happens. The curser shows a hourglass as if it was in the process of opening a program. Yet if I move the curser onto the destop area I can indeed open any icon that is on the desktop. But bring it back to the taskbar and the hourglass appears on my curser again. What in the world is happening and how can I fix this? I've rebooted, scrubbed my system os viruses and trojans (using Spybot) but it continues to happen. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Taskbar keeps locking up.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Taskbar keeps locking up.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Taskbar keeps locking up.
by Stan Chambers / March 5, 2004 1:56 PM PST

I would suggest that you also need to run a virus scan. If you don't have virus software, Norton, Mcafee, etc., you can download free AVG at http://www.pcworld.com. They also have Ad-aware, which is freeware. Download and run both programs along with Spybot, to rid your machine of viruses, spyware, and adware. If the problems persists, post back with your computer specifications to the forum, telling what steps you have taken.

Collapse -
Re:Taskbar keeps locking up.
by HerbChong / March 7, 2004 9:44 AM PST

what have you installed or uninstalled recently? if it's not a virus or spyware, it's something that isn't starting up properly and hanging Explorer.

Herb....

Collapse -
Re: Taskbar keeps locking up.
by rmourad / June 16, 2004 3:55 AM PDT

I am also having the same problem. I'm running XP on a dual 2.8 Gig P4. The mouse turns into an hourglass when I mouse-over the taskbar, including the start button. The taskbar doesn't seem functional b/c it doesn't display open or minimized windows. Did you ever solve the problem? If so, how? Does anyone else have any ideas? They are much appreciated.
Regards,
Ramy

Collapse -
Re: Taskbar keeps locking up.
by HerbChong / June 16, 2004 11:52 AM PDT

this also can happen if there is a program, spyware or otherwise, that is trying to connect to the internet, but is launched as part of Windows Explorer startup. typically, this is a virus or spyware. you need to run several spyware checkers, each with their latest definition files. yet another cause is a bad Explorer addin. there isn't an easy way to figure it out unless you have a registry snapshot saved from before this problem started happening. uninstalling programs you recently installed also works.

Herb...

Collapse -
Taskbar keeps locking up.
by fredu / January 18, 2005 4:58 AM PST

I've recently run into this problem (just today) on a client's computer. I have been able to determine that the trouble lies in SVCHOST.EXE in the processes list, running under under LOCAL SERVICE but have not yet been able to determine what is causing this problem. If I kill the process as soon as the computer starts, it works fine, otherwise the taskbar and all related issues are botched up. I'll be running a complete virus scan and it's already been cleaned of the minor amounts of spyware present.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.