Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Taskbar double width - Why?

by Pupil / September 4, 2005 6:11 AM PDT

I am using XP with Service Pack 2.
Everything has been working fine but in the last two days for some reason the taskbar is double width and I can't find a way to restore it to normal.

The Start Button is in the normal place but below it there is another width of taskbar and the taskbar icons are now arranged in two rows on the right. There is not an excessive number of icons and certainly quite enough space for them to be in a single row as they have been until now. There is no advantage to the present situation and the taskbar just occupies more of the display.

I have looked at Taskbar Properties and available options but with no success in trying to restore this to the former ''normal'' arrangment.

Would be grateful for any advice/help.

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Taskbar double width - Why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Taskbar double width - Why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Taskbar double width - Why?
by Tufenuf / September 4, 2005 6:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
Taskbar double width
by Pupil / September 6, 2005 7:27 AM PDT

Many thanks for your help.
The article you directed me to did not give an immediate answer but it did show me directions to look in and also quite a lot of correspondence about related problems.
What seemed to cure the problem was to delete the language icon. I don't understand why this is so but I am now happily back to one normal width taskbar.

Thank you

P.S. It also led me to a potentially useful ''Taskbar Repair Tool'' I have not used this yet but it looks to be a useful item.

Pupil

Collapse -
Resetting Taskbar to single width
by regcnet / September 6, 2005 7:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Taskbar double width

This often happens to me. I have the Google Deskbar in the Taskbar and it oftens wants to spread itself across the taskbar. And on my taskbar there are three sets of tools, Google, Quick Launch, & whatever applications are open. There is a set of dots to the left of each of these sections that spreads or compacts them. Sometimes I mistakenly spread one section out and the taskbar moves to a double width. To solve this I right click on the taskbar area & remove the Google or Quick Launch toolbars. Once I have cleared the spread I can move the taskbar back to one level. Then I right click on the taskbar and put the Google or Quick Launch toolbars back. They stay all on one level because I have not spread them out.

Collapse -
Here's what I did...
by FrankQTran / September 6, 2005 8:07 AM PDT

1. Move the mouse's cursor into the top edge of the Taskbar. The cursor should be changed to an up-and-down arrow.
2. While you see that up-and-down arrow, left-click the mouse and hold it.
3. Slowly move it down toward to the bottom of the screen
4. You should be back to the normal width Taskbar.

Regards,

Collapse -
Taskbar double width
by Pupil / September 11, 2005 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's what I did...

This gets stranger and stranger because my taskbar again reverted to double width without any intentional changes on my part.

I am wondering if there is some form of adware or malware causing it.

I have run AVG virus checker and found no viruses. I shall now run Adaware and Spybot and see if they turn up anything. It is very puzzling.

The good part is that FrankQTran's advice worked and following his method I was able to restore the taskbar to normal single width.

Many thanks to FrankQTran and the others who responded to my enquiry.

The problem is, how long will it be before my taskbar again makes itself double width?

Pupil

Collapse -
Frank beat me here, so. . .
by Coryphaeus / September 11, 2005 6:35 AM PDT

It can happen by accident. I have my task bar set to hide.

For something new and different, click and drag the taskbar to the right side of your screen. Put it back the same way. Have you ever experimented on how large you can get it? It'll go to half screen height.

Collapse -
You're welcome and...
by FrankQTran / September 11, 2005 7:38 AM PDT

You asked: ''The problem is, how long will it be before my taskbar again makes itself double width?''

My answer: It's only happen when your Taskbar is ''icons overcrowd'' or by manually set by user.

Regards,

Collapse -
Thanks for the help
by KLizotte / July 20, 2010 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's what I did...

Hi, I know your msg is old but just wanted to let you know that I recently had this problem and you were the only one who figured out to fix it. Seems so obvious now!

Collapse -
Taskbar
by retired / September 11, 2005 5:21 AM PDT

I've had that happen where the vertical line separating the Quick Launch Toolbar
from the Taskbar is moved and can then double the width of the Taskbar. If you unlock
the Taskbar you should be able to see this line ..... and play around with it by
sliding it back to the right

It's hard to describe but if you persist with it - it will eventually get back to
the single width and you can lock it again

Collapse -
Remove 2 Task Bars from Windows XP Service Pack3
by willi610 / September 2, 2008 2:05 PM PDT

Depending on which user logs on, both admin. rights, different profiles.
1 is normal the other appears to have 2 task bars double the height.
I can not drag to shrink.
Any answer will be appreciated.

Collapse -
2 Taskbars?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 2, 2008 8:39 PM PDT

Can you supply a screen print of that at ImageShack, or PhotoBucket?

Mark

Collapse -
taskbar double width
by terptwerpy / March 28, 2011 7:14 AM PDT

Ok, I had the same problem, and finally found this thread, which enabled me to fix my issue -- which I hope is the same as everyone's problem. Like other users, even unlocking the taskbar would not let me resize it to the normal width -- it was double width or nothing.

First, turning off the Quick Launch as suggested above worked for me. Once the icons were gone, i could resize the bar back to normal thickness. However, when i turned them back on, presto bango, it was doulbe width again.

It messed around with this for far too log before I noticed that in the unlocked mode, there were a series of dots just to the right of the Start menu that were movable.

Then i noticed that there were two sets of these, one for the Quick Launch icons, and another in front of the active program listings. I grabbed the active progam list and dragged it to the upper line of the double width tool bar and presto! everythinhg was back on the same line in the taskbar, and after i locked it, it remained as i wanted it.

This is an old laptop my kids use to play games at Nick Jr, so they were most likely the source of the original problem, not some sort of malware (the appearance is always different after they use it,...)

I hope this helps!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?