Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Taskbar at startup

by wilcosky / January 12, 2010 8:45 AM PST

Hi,

I've been wanting to ask this question for years but never have. On my computer at work and my computer at home that runs Windows XP something that I assume is normal happens to the taskbar during startup. Even though this may be normal, I'm wondering if there is a hack or something to fix it.

When Windows XP loads, and the desktop and start/taskbar appears, everything looks like it's loaded, but then the taskbar will go away just for like 1 second and then come back, then thats when I know it's completed loaded.

Although it's a small detail, it's kind of annoying. It's like the taskbar hiccups.

I believe it happens on every Windows XP computer I've ever booted up, so I'm guessing it's normal and there isn't a solution, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about and has a solution, let me know!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Taskbar at startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Taskbar at startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmmm. Not my experience
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 13, 2010 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: Taskbar at startup

I'm on my Vista system at the moment but I still use my XP PC on occasion, and I haven't noticed this in the 6 years or so that I have had it.

I can't offer any concrete reason, but the Desktop display, (the icons on the Desktop and the Taskbar), is created by explorer.exe, (it is always present as a Process in the Task Manager). If the whole Desktop display disappears then reappears a short while later, I would have suggested that explorer.exe had stopped working for a bit, then restarted, but if it is just the Taskbar, I would not have thought that was the issue.

I wonder... How many Quick Launch icons and System Tray icons, (near the clock), do you have? If you have a lot of either or both, then possibly the Taskbar has to reconfigure itself to fit them all in?

That's all I can suggest, but perhaps others will have a better idea.

Mark

Collapse -
System Tray Icons
by wilcosky / January 13, 2010 5:33 AM PST

I do have several system tray icons, so that could be it. Maybe it's loading the icons and that causes it to hiccup. It's like the start menu, taskbar/system tray loads, but then it says to itself, OH WAIT, I almost forgot, I need to load this... so it goes away, comes back and that's it.

Again, this happens on one of my computers at home and my work computer... both aren't great computers. For my computer at home that this happens with, I don't have hardly anything installed on it, and it boots fast and runs great. But, the taskbar "flashing" or going away and coming back within 1 to 2 seconds... is still puzzling.

I think it's a particular slow loading program maybe. All the fast loading startup programs load fine, but then there may be one or two slow loading ones that cause the hiccup.

Collapse -
Just a WAG
by Cursorcowboy / January 16, 2010 9:26 PM PST
In reply to: System Tray Icons

Use a utility like "Startup Optimizer" (see Google) to look at the start-up programs and removed either all StartUP items or one at a time to see if the anomaly ceases -- will take a long time and a lot of rebooting.

You can take the shortcuts from Quick Launch (the Quick Launch toolbar uses the files in %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch) also and move them back one at a time.

Hopefully after removing or enabling a certain one the anomaly will either quit or cause the problem and you'll know the culprit.

Re-enable all other StartUPs and/or move the Quick Launch icons back to their home and then figure out why a certain one causes the situation.

Collapse -
I'll try it
by wilcosky / January 17, 2010 10:28 AM PST
In reply to: Just a WAG

Well, I don't have any quick launch icons. Also, I disabled many startup programs through msconfig. There are still a few startup programs left that I could disable, but, the bottom line is, all the startup programs that are left I need. So, even if I disable the rest of the startup programs and that fixes the issue... I'm going to want to add those startup programs back, so it's kind of a mute point.

For example, one of my startup programs has to do with the sound system. I could disable it and that could be the culprit... but... I like this sound manager, so even if it is the culprit, I want it to start on startup.

I mostly use a Apple computers... the only two Windows computers I use is one laptop at home and one laptop at work. Once again, both of these Windows based PCs do this thing that I'm talking about. Even though the first reply states that their computer doesn't do this, maybe it does and they're just not sure what I'm talking about. What I'm trying to say is, I think it's normal. Maybe not all Windows XP computers do what I'm talking about, but, I think a lot of them do at startup and so again, I think it's normal and will just leave it at that.

Let me also try and clarify the issue as well... Maybe people are reading this and thinking that Windows is completely loading then suddenly the taskbar goes away, then comes back. That's not really it... it's during the loading process. So, Windows starts up, it says it's loading my user settings, the desktop appears, the desktop icons and taskbar appear, but then the taskbar (and sometimes the entire desktop) goes black for just a second or half a second, then it comes back and everything is loaded. I'm thinking it's just how Windows XP loads. And maybe not on all computers... maybe the computers I've experienced this on have crappy components or something.

Or, maybe once again, it is one or two of the programs that are running on startup... but, there are two main reasons why I'm not going to pursue this any further.

1) I rarely use my PC, again I mostly use my Apple computer.
2) Like the last poster said, it would take a lot of restarting and trial and error to figure out if it is a startup program and again, I rarely use it and don't feel like going through all that when it's just a one second taskbar flicker that's not hurting anything.

Thanks for the ideas though guys...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!