General discussion

Task Manager Failure, Etc.

I have a compound problem and could sure use some help or advice.

The following 3 issues all started at the same time (I think).

1.) When I press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up the Windows Task Manager (WTM) it does not work. I get an error message which reads:
Heading: taskmgr.exe - Application Error
Body: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application.
I can launch WTM just fine by clicking on the file "taskmgr.exe" so the program itself does not seem to be the issue, but starting it with Ctrl-Alt-Del is.

2.) When this occurred I tried to use restore to set my PC back a couple of restore points. It would not let me restore to any of the 3 points I choose. (I have never tried to use restore previously.)

3.) Since that time my screensaver function does not work (I use SETI). That is the screensaver never kicks in and the screen never blanks. Every so often there is a flicker which seems as though the screensaver tried to kick in but was immediatly kicked back out.

I use XP Pro. SP2. I keep Windows all up to date.
I use NAV, Zone Alarm Pro, SpySweeper, Ad-Aware SE, SpyBot S & D, and just added Microsoft's new Spyware Beta1 (which did not detect anything). (Since turning on SpyBot's Innoculation I rarely if ever have seen any more spyware.)

I would sure appreciate knowedgable advice on what might be causing this and how to fix it.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Task Manager Failure, Etc.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Task Manager Failure, Etc.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Check this thread for help
- Collapse -
Re: Check this thread for help

Stan, Thank you
The error message cited in that thread is the same, but I don't recognize any similarity to the symptoms I am experiencing. The only advice I saw concerned 3 year old Microsoft instructions relating to NT4.0 updates.

Was there something you had in mind that I missed?

- Collapse -
task manager

JBP: Problems such as you describe are typically related to some particular event that has taken place. Program installation, virus, spyware attack, etc. Since you cannot run System Restore, it may also have been affected. I won't guess at what the cause may be, or at a solution to it. I can only suggest some steps to take that may help to resolve the problem.
First, to be absolutely sure the system is clean, I run an online scan here: http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/products/housecall_launch.php
Be sure to check the box to delete anything that is found.

Next, if you have Window XP CD, place it in the drive, click Start, Run, type in: sfc /scannow, space between sfc and slash. This will check for corrupted system files and do any necessary repairs.
Post back the results.
Best of Luck

- Collapse -
Re: Task Manager

Stan,
Thanks for your input.

I ran the Trend Micro HouseCall 2004, It found no occurrances of whatever it was sweeping for.

Next I ran the System File Checker. It certainly has an underwhelming interface. There was a "Windows File Protection" titled box with the message: Please wait while Windows verifies....., and a progress bar that moved slowly accross and when it got to the end the box disappeared. No report of any results or any files replaced. Is this the normal way this program works?

Anyway it had no effect on my problem which is still there.

- Collapse -
Task Manager problems
- Collapse -
Re: Task Manager Problems

Mark,
I have tried your suggestion and visited Kellys-Korner and her various ideas associated with a non functioning Task Manager. I did not meet with success trying the several possibilitys. But I did learn a little more: There are two additional ways to start the Task Manager that I was not aware of.
1) Right-Click the TaskBar and Click on Task Manager. - This method works for me.
2) Press the keys Ctrl-Shift-Esc. And this method does not work for me.
So the two key combination do not open Task Manager but the application will open from the TaskBar Menu and by clicking a shortcut to the App. Itself.

Thanks for the advice.

- Collapse -
- Collapse -

Thanks,

I checked out the link. I don't have NETSTATT.EXE on my machine nor running as a process, and my symptoms are somewhat different than discribed there.

Thanks anyway for the advice.

- Collapse -
Have you run the Hijackthis scan and tried..

CNET Forums

Forum Info