Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Task Manager and task bar not responding

by U.S. Steel / February 26, 2006 7:24 PM PST

I recently downloaded some media files and straight after my computer slowed down to a crawl and then would not respond. The mouse pointer remains active but i cannot click on anything succesfully. The task bar and task manager do not respond at all, i can open files saved on my desktop but cannot do anything when they're open and cannot close them again.

I reset my PC a number of times but this did not solve the problem.

I assume this is a virus or spyware problem but could it possibly be anything else???

Any help would be most appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Task Manager and task bar not responding
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Task Manager and task bar not responding
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What do you use
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 26, 2006 7:41 PM PST

to protect yourself from hackers, viruses and spyware?

What were you using to download the media files? many such files downloaded through P2P, (Peer to Peer), applications like Limewire, Morpheous, Kazaa, WinMX, etc are virus infected and people should virus check them before trying to open/install them.

The best method of security is not to use such applications.

You need the following;

Anti-hacking - A firewall. The Windows XP Firewall is ok, but not easy to configure and is therefore quite basic. There are many free firewalls about, and one of the most popular is ZoneAlarm from;
http://www.zonelabs.com

Anti-virus - These need their definitions kept up to date and scans run regularly. Only one is needed per computer and there are many good free ones available, eg Grisoft's AVG.

Immediately you can visit Housecall for an online scan;
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Anti-Spyware - More than one is needed. Try Ewido from;
http://www.ewido.net

and Spybot Search & Destroy from;
http://www.safer-networking.org/

and SpywareBlaster from;
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

and also Windows Defender, formally known as Microsoft AntiSpyware, from Microsoft's wb site.

They all need regular spyware definitions updates and Windows Defender should be always on.

Mark

Collapse -
Stupidly
by U.S. Steel / February 26, 2006 9:02 PM PST
In reply to: What do you use

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info, stupidly i havn't got any virus software installed! Its a new computer (to me, its a couple of years old) and i just kept putting it off. It was a windows media file i've downloaded from a respected site, not P2P.

I've just tried to reboot it and it won't even boot up now, just getting to the safe mode section then a status (loading) bar runs at the bottom of the screen and then freezes. Any ideas how i can get into the PC at all?

Collapse -
Can I ask?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2006 9:09 PM PST
In reply to: Stupidly

Since Free AVG, AVAST and Zone Alarm are free to use, why go without?

Bob

Collapse -
Did you boot safe mode?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2006 9:10 PM PST

Did you try that, system restore and failing that... Command line mode, the RSTRUI program (google please) and failing that, reload the machine since without antivirus the OS could be so badly damaged, repair is unlikely.

Bob

Collapse -
it booted in safe mode yesterday
by U.S. Steel / February 26, 2006 9:59 PM PST

but won't today.

I havn't tried the system restore yet, will try that tonight, with XP Cd right?

Not sure what you mean by "command line mode" or RSTRUI?

p.s. i've just got hold of AVG, i won't be making that mistake again!

Collapse -
About google.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2006 10:09 PM PST

If you had typed RSTRUI and such into google.com...

Collapse -
Thanks bob
by U.S. Steel / February 26, 2006 10:12 PM PST
In reply to: About google.

I havn't got an RSTRUI error message, just no response at all, will try run the recovery console and get back to you.

Collapse -
This shows you didn't use google.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2006 10:22 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks bob

I'm only handing out the clues to get your machine back. Please get out and help us push your PC back into operation.

Bob

Collapse -
you've lost me!
by U.S. Steel / February 26, 2006 10:41 PM PST

I put RSTRUI into google.com and got a load of pages (which i didn't understand) on error messages which i am not experiencing, is this not what you meant me to do?

I'm crap at this PC tech stuff, to be honest i don't have a clue what i'm doing. I've performed thing like reinstalls and new hardware installs in the past (some time ago before all these problems) but thats about as far as my tech knowledge goes.

i just need some idiot-proof advice on the best thing start with.

Collapse -
Here's an example link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2006 10:43 PM PST
In reply to: you've lost me!
Collapse -
Thanks bob
by U.S. Steel / February 26, 2006 10:48 PM PST

I get it now! I've already tried to boot up using all the available safe boot options but non of them get me in. Even to a command prompt???

Collapse -
If the command line fails, then the OS is damaged. Next?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2006 11:08 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks bob

A repair install. Again, a noted procedure on google.com

Try XP REPAIR INSTALL

Bob

Collapse -
Ta!
by U.S. Steel / February 26, 2006 11:11 PM PST

I'll give that a go tonight, thanks alot for the info.

Will this method mean i loose any files?

Collapse -
Only the files you didn't backup. More...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2006 11:14 PM PST
In reply to: Ta!

Since many OS files will be replaced and the pest doesn't tell you what it did, not only will the OS files be overwritten but this may be a test of your backup system.

Bob

Collapse -
so shouldn't affect media or other files?
by U.S. Steel / February 26, 2006 11:22 PM PST

The only things i am bothered about loosing are my reason (music writing program) files and associated wave files.

Please tell me these will be OK!

Collapse -
"Programs" are at risk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2006 11:31 PM PST

The OS has been damaged. So you get to do the repair install and installed programs may have to be repaired.

HOWEVER, since some pest has damaged the OS, all files that you didn't backup may just vanish.

This is how most learn that backup is not optional. They have to lose it all.

Bob

PS. Don't ask me if your files will be ok. We won't know until after the repairs.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!