General discussion

Task Bar Rearrange Icons

Hi, After I have a couple icons open on my taskbar(not the quick launch or ones on the right side but the middle ones that I have open) is there a way to rearrange them on the bar without closing and reopening them?

Oh, usng Windows XP sp2 on a Dell E520 desktop.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Task Bar Rearrange Icons
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Task Bar Rearrange Icons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
rearranging taskbar icons

move the mouse to the taskbar; right click and uncheck 'lock the taskbar'; left click/ hold on the icon you wish to relocate (left or right of present location).
When finished, right click the taskbar again, and select 'lock the taskbar'

- Collapse -
Yes and no

Yes and no. It's not a function of Windows, but there are programs that add this feature. However, my experience has been that they're unreliable at best. Sometimes things would spontaneously reorganize themselves, and you'd have to spend time fighting with it.

Fortunately, this has been resolved with Win7, where it's now a native feature.

- Collapse -
First reply didn't work

The first reply to unlock the taskbar and drag icons didn't work for me. The second person seems to understand what I want to do. Doesn't seem to be an easy way. Guess I'll just have to close WORD and reopen it to get it to the end of the line. Why I want to move it is because I jump back and forth between the same 3 windows a lot and get used to them being in a certain order/place to click on them.

- Collapse -
Just so you know.

Windows 7 implemented this feature.

CNET Forums