HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Task bar not functional

by mdha / January 20, 2006 8:16 PM PST

hello everybody
in a recent discovery by my father he said that the icons--with their name-- for any opened application like my computer, firefox etc. are not at all being displayed in the task bar on opening anything the taskbar does not show any any activity while the notification area is well function along with the quick launch and also the start menu
i've already tried system restore.
the trouble also has another side,, i can easily right click the empty area where the task should have displayed the application names, to open taskmanager ,, so it tells that its being properly refreshed.
also i've tried restarting my explorer.exe, but the restart does not show any changes.
i'm yet to try opening a new user account and seeing what happens on it,, but yes i have a different user account of my own which is working absolutely fine,, though i've noticed 2 or 3 hangs in the last fortnight. i've also removed msn search tool bar which i thought was doing the trouble. but with no effect,,i am NOT willing to re-install my windows.
hoping for a quick response from you experts.

my system specs:
win xp home--sp2--updated,, p4 3 gigs, 512 mb RAM X600 pro grpics card,, intel d925xecv2 mbd, 160 gb hdd, 60-100 partitioned,, and yaa i'm running norton systemworks 2005 along with yahoo and msn messengers ,, also zone alarm firewall

~mihir

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Task bar not functional
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Task bar not functional
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two options
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 20, 2006 8:24 PM PST

Hi mihir.

What do you do to protect yourself from spyware and viruses? The taskbar can be affected by such malware.

Create a System Restore point first.

If you don't already have Ewido, download Ewido Secuirty Suite from;
http://www.ewido.com install it and update it's definitions and run a full scan.

If that doesn't fix the problem, go here;
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
and download the Taskbar repair tool. See if that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
My security suite
by mdha / January 20, 2006 8:39 PM PST
In reply to: Two options

thanks mark
i'm yet to try what you've just suggested
i use spybot search and destroy and ad-aware se and microsoft antispyware for removing spywares.
will soon post the results from options u suggested

thanks again
~mihir

Collapse -
Here's a probable fix.
by Tufenuf / January 20, 2006 8:43 PM PST

~mihir, Go to the link below and under the letter "T"---"Taskbar" click on "Minimized Programs Missing" to download a vbs file fix. Save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double
click the vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

"NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious" script, this is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar technology enabled. These scripts are not malicious, but they do make changes to the System Registry".

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

It should correct the problem.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Problem Solved
by mdha / January 20, 2006 11:47 PM PST

Thanks a lot
Mark and tufenuf u've both told the most accurate solution and so it HAD to work. it did. i had already solved the problem using the tool mark had pointed out as taskbar repair toolkit. and ya tufenuf this kit repaired the job by using the minimised programs missing funtion. thanks a million
You people won't believe this but yes,, my computer vendor's technitian told me that it would require a FORMAT!!!
i knew that wasn't the case and thanked him for his help!.

and ya mark the ewido anti-malware also seems to have done a similar job, though it did not repair the taskbar it found out 121 infections and cleaned them which in itself was a great achivement.

thanks a lot people once again for ur invaluable help.

i hope i will have support of such great a forum for all the years of computing i will see.

~mihir

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad it's fixed & Glad we could help.
by Tufenuf / January 20, 2006 11:52 PM PST
In reply to: Problem Solved
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Me too. Well done Mihir.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 21, 2006 4:03 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.