Storage forum

General discussion

Tape Drive Problem

by mjchrisler / August 23, 2004 5:25 AM PDT

We have a tape drive backup on our server here at the office, and until recently our backup was working fine. Now however, we are getting a log that says that the storage media cannot be found. I was going to simply redo the backup task, however I don't know how to get it to save to our tape drive. The drive is not listed in the my computer screen like a normal drive. Is this the way that tape drives operate? Does anyone know the trick on getting the Windows Backup program to write to a tape drive? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tape Drive Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tape Drive Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Tape Drive Problem
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2004 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Tape Drive Problem

"The drive is not listed in the my computer screen like a normal drive. Is this the way that tape drives operate? "

Most, if not all.

"Does anyone know the trick on getting the Windows Backup program to write to a tape drive? "

It will have to be a supported tape drive unit. Not many are supported, so we turn to Veritas and such software to step in. In fact, NTBACKUP will be a challenge for most IT staffers I've met. Maybe a good way to test if your IT staff gets voted off the island?

Bob

Collapse -
The forum Tip
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2004 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Tape Drive Problem

"If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution."

Your post is void of the needed details and a "story".

Servers with tape backup often have IT staff for the care and feeding of the company server. In today's world I'm seeing some companies try to eject the IT staff and the result is business systems can collapse as people rush in and tinker or try to save the server.

The information and the story could help you save this one.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: The forum Tip
by mjchrisler / August 23, 2004 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: The forum Tip

Thanks for the help Robert. We are a pretty small firm and I was sort of thrown into the IT position. We have a few IT People that we hire out by the hour and they do most of the grunt work, but I was just checking if this was possible to do on my own. Also do you have any recommendations for Backup Software for a smaller business, we are looking to save a little money (As is everyone) but a solid user friendly system with an easy restore capabilility. I've tested a few of them out, but have been unable to find a solid program. A Direct mirroring program to an external drive, along with the ability to do a tape backup would be key. Thanks in advance for your help. And thank you for your prompt responses.

Collapse -
Re: The forum Tip
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2004 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: The forum Tip

Even a cheap USB 2.0 drive of sufficient size would he an easy way to make a second copy of files you can't lose. No programming, just click and copy...

There is no cheap solution that also includes what you ask for. Veritas is good stuff and may support your drive. But you didn't mention the drive make/model so I leave it to you to research if Veritas is your answer.

For a business you measure what downtime costs you and in all instances, the cost of the backup is a bargain.

Bob

Collapse -
"Direct mirroring"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2004 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: The forum Tip

Remember that some forget that a mirror copy of the server is just that. If somebody presses the delete key by accident, the mirror copy or drive also deletes the file. It's how "mirrors" work. Some learn this the hard way.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.